Saturday, May 5, 2012

Velvet Pork Stir Fry


20120319-DSC_7840


My boyfriend asked me if know how to velvet meat. The answer to that question was "No, who do you think I am? Some kind of fancy pants chef?" Nevertheless, it isn't a bad idea to learn to velvet meat, so I looked it up. I got this recipe from Serious Eats.

20120319-DSC_7787

It actually wasn't hard at all to do. I got a 1/2 lb block of semi-frozen pork loin. This made it really easy for me to cut the pork into match sticks.


To be uploaded7

To make the meat "velvety," I added 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp corn starch.


20120319-DSC_7809

I also added 1 egg white to the pork. I just used my hands to mix everything around, covered it and left in the fridge for 30 minutes.


To be uploaded8

It was a good time to chop up a crown of broccoli and one medium red bell pepper. However, if you feel like putting any other vegetables like snap peas, bamboo shoot, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.


20120319-DSC_7814

When the pork was done marinating, I boiled some water and blanched the pork for 30 seconds. Some other recipes tell you to quickly deep fry the pork but I didn't want to deal with so much oil. The main purpose is to cook the meat on the outside so the moisture is sealed in and won't be lost when it's stir fried.


20120319-DSC_7821

The following step were easy. I heated 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and stirred in about 1 teaspoon of garlic-ginger paste. Then I stir fried the broccoli and red pepper.


20120319-DSC_7824

To make things interesting, I added a teaspoon of Guilin Chili Sauce to the stir fry along with the blanched pork.


20120319-DSC_7836


Food was ready for nom after sprinkling on some fresh ground black pepper!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Fancy! I hate cooking pork loin because it's so easy to over cook and dry it out.
    I have a n00b question:
    When you boil the pork, will you loose the "velvety" texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. I didn't even know you could velvet meat. Today I learned. :p

    ReplyDelete