Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Minty Oreo Cheesecake Brownie

Minty Oreo cheesecake brownies



This is the illegitimate love child of three recipes. In addition to those three recipes, I also bastardized it with a little of my own madness. Oh yes, this brownie is a dirty dirty brownie.

My boyfriend requested that I make this Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownie except he said to make it really fudgy. I know fudgy brownies! I decided to borrow the minty oreo idea, modified this brownie recipe from My Baking Addiction as the brownie base. I'm not a big fan of the white chocolate/marshmallow tops of the Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownie recipe, so I decided to top it off with minty cheesecake from this cheesecake brownie recipe also from My Baking Addiction.

My sister sent me an IM that said:

"Omg your brownies are too much ... I'm going to have a heart attack and die."

So yeah...this will also be known as the Heart Attack Brownie.

Are you ready for this monster?




20120309-DSC_7516

One stick of butter. Always start with the butter. Cut it into chunks like that for ease of melting.

PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350°F!!! I always forget this.


20120309-DSC_7517

I used the whole slab of Pound Plus dark chocolate from Trader Joe's. The thing was exactly 17.6 ounces, or so said the packaging. I broke that into chunks with my bare hands because I have the strength of 10 Hercules.


20120309-DSC_7521

If you have a fancy pants double broiler, use it to melt the chocolate and butter together. If you don't, fill a large pot with water to about 1.5" deep, drop a large bowl in the pot, put the butter and chocolate in the bowl, and heat the water. I don't believe in a double broiler until I have a 500 sf kitchen and $1,000,000 to spend.

Remember to stir the melting chocolate and butter once in a while for a good mix. Remove from heat when the mixture is smooth.


20120309-DSC_7526

While the chocolate and butter are melting, crack 4 eggs. Beat them with love!


20120309-DSC_7529

Stir in 1 1/3 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. That's what the recipe said. I poured in about 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.


20120309-DSC_7530

When the chocolate and butter are melted and cooled down a little, stir in the eggs and sugar mixture until all is well mixed.


20120309-DSC_7534

Measure out 1/2 cup of flour and mix that with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Then stir the flour into the chocolate-butter-egg-sugar mixture until flour is incorporated.


20120309-DSC_7537

A stack of mint Oreo cookies! Let me count...12 cookies! I also broke those into quarter pieces with my 10-Hercules strength and stirred them into the brownie batter.

Spread the batter into a 9x12 baking pan.


20120309-DSC_7540

In another bowl, beat together 16 oz of cream cheese, 2/3 cup of sugar, 2 eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.


20120309-DSC_7544

Add to the cream cheese mixture about 2 tablespoons of creme de menthe. To avoid making the cheesecake tasting like Listerine by going overboard with the creme de menthe, I adjusted the coloring by adding a drop of green food coloring.


20120309-DSC_7559

Pour the cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter.

I tried using a knife to make swirls of cheesecake and brownie batters but failed.

Crumble more Oreo cookies on top of the cheesecake batter. I used about 10 more.


20120310-DSC_7595

Bake in the oven (350 degrees F) for 30 minutes. Pull it out. Let it cool completely. Go chill and do other stuff like petting your cat or something.

If you don't have a cat, here's a picture of one.

20120128-DSC_7015


Here's another one.

Lily!



20120310-DSC_7586

This was my bastardization part. I spread some scoops of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream on top of the cheesecake brownie. Hah! Then that whole thing went into the freezer for about an hour (covered!) so that the ice cream could set and harden for a bit.

My MO (modus operandi) is putting ice cream on top of everything sweet. Ice cream is my MSG for baked goods.


20120312-DSC_7610

That resulted in a chocolate mint party in my mouth. Have fun playing dirty with this brownie.


Here's the real recipe without the silly photos.

Brownie:

1 stick butter
17.6 oz of dark chocolate
4 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
12 mint Oreo cookies


Melt butter and chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.

Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in another bowl.

Mix the melted chocolate with the eggs and sugar mixture.

Mix the flour and baking powder together then stir into the chocolate and eggs mixture.

Crumble the Oreo cookies and stir into brownie batter.

Spread batter onto 9 x 12 pan.


Cheesecake:

16 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons creme de menthe
green food coloring


Beat together cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.

Add creme de menthe and about 1 drop of green food coloring. Stir well to mix.



Assembly

Pour cheese cake batter over brownie batter. Use a butter knife to draw swirl in the batters for pretty-ness.

Crumble about 10 - 12 mint Oreo cookies on top of cheesecake batter.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Let brownie cool completely.

Spread as much ice cream (chocolate or mint flavor, or both!) on top of cheesecake brownie as you like.

Cover and let sit in the freezer for about an hour.

Remove from freezer, cut into squares and eat it all.

Do not share!

Hit the gym.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one has commented on this. This is too much. Too wonderfully much.

    ReplyDelete