Saturday, April 14, 2012

Beef and Broccoli



I've been super busy with work lately, and haven't really had time to cook elaborate fancy-pants meals. But lucky for you, that means this recipe will be really simple. Yay. I've been making a lot of beef and broccoli because it is seriously the easiest thing in the world to make. The only think that might be hard is getting the Oyster sauce if you don't have access to an Asian grocer.



Ingredients:
8 oz of sliced beef, any cut
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small nub of ginger, julianned
12 oz of fresh broccoli, roughly four florets
1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
Salt & Pepper



1. Mix together beef, baking soda, garlic, ginger, and some salt and pepper. I used the cheapest cut of beef I found at FoodsCo/Krogers. I think it was Top Round for $3.29/lb. It really doesn't matter what cut of meat you use because the baking soda will make all cuts of beef taste roughly the same. The baking soda acts as a tenderizer, so the meat is really tender. Set aside.



2. Chop broccoli into stems and wash. Pour 1/2 cup of water into a large sauce pan/skillet and throw in your broccoli and some salt & pepper. Let it boil until 90% of the water evaporates. Turn of heat and set aside (with the remaining 10% of water).



3. Heat up your skillet and pour in some oil. When the oil starts to smoke slightly, dump in your meat mixture. The meat will cook really fast because it's thinly sliced. Once beef is just about done, throw your broccoli and water into the skillet. The water from the broccoli should deglaze the pan and you'll get that yummy fond off the bottom.





4. Add in your Oyster sauce and maybe some salt and pepper to taste. Once everything is mixed together, turn of heat, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment