Saturday, March 10, 2012

Coconut Chicken

20120206-DSC_7262

I call this coconut chicken, but the recipe is actually called Evil Jungle Prince Chicken from Pepper Fool. In fact, I think this dish is more like Thai chicken curry without the curry. It's quite easy to make and still very delicious.


20120206-DSC_7191

You want 3 stalks of sweet Thai basil and 2 - 4 leaves of kaffir lime leaves.
Note on the kaffir lime leaves. They are expensive. $34.99/lb. Good thing the bag I got with about 30 leaves was $6 because I cannot afford more than that. I froze the leftovers so I can use it at a later date.


20120206-DSC_7199

I think 4 bird's eye chilies would be enough for a nice kick.
You would also need a stalk of lemon grass.


20120206-DSC_7217

About 1 cup of bamboo shoots and 1/2 of a large bell pepper, slice. Aren't they pretty?


20120206-DSC_7229

The thing to do is to put the kaffir lime leaves, chilies, and lemon grass into a food processor and grind everything. However, I do not have a food processor so I just chopped everything as fine as I could. My mom gave me a tub of ground up lemon grass so that made it very easy for me.
In a large pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Throw in the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and chilies and cook for about 1 minute.


20120206-DSC_7235

Pour in 1/2 can of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Cook and stir occasionally until the coconut milk starts to boil.


20120206-DSC_7250

Throw in about 1 lb of chicken thighs that have been but into strips. People always cook with chicken breasts and I have no idea why. The thighs taste delicious and I can get them boneless and skinless for anywhere from $1.59/lb to $1.99/lb. It's not like it's extravagant and I get to avoid dry and flavorless breasts. Enough ranting! Cook them thighs for about 5 minutes or until the strips are cooked through.


20120206-DSC_7251

Add the bell peppers and bamboo shoot. Stir up that party to evenly coat everything with coconut milk. It should take another 3 - 5 minutes to cook the vegetables.


20120206-DSC_7252

Toss in tons of basil leaves. You can never have enough basil! Cook until the leaves are wilted and sad looking.


20120206-DSC_7259

That's it! Ladle it over some jasmine rice, sit your ass in front of the TV, and eat like a champ.

Coconut Chicken = Evil Jungle Prince Chicken

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken thigh cut into strips
4 kaffir lime leaves
2 tablespoons ground lemon grass or 1 stalk
4 bird's eye chilies
3 stalks of Thai basils
1/2 can of coconut milk
1 bell pepper
1 cup bamboo shoot
1 tablespoon fish sauce
vegetable oil

Directions:
Grind kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass, and chilies in a food processor.

Heat about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan and cook the lemon grass, chilies, and kaffir lime mixture for 1 minute.

Add coconut milk and fish sauce to cook until mixture boil.

Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.

Add bell peppers and bamboo shoot and cook for another 3 minutes.

Toss in Thai basil and cook until leaves are wilted.

Serve piping hot over steamed rice.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God. Can't you use regular lime leaves? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the kaffir lime leaves can be omitted. They added a nice kick to it. Not sure about just using plain old lime leaves, though. I can try it next time.

      Delete
  2. I wanna make this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete