Saturday, February 18, 2012

Oreo Cheesecake


(Click on photos for larger image)


What a delightful surprise! I got a text from my neighbor, Chris, that he has a giant tripod he didn't need and whether or not I wanted it. In exchange for the tripod, I baked him an oreo cheesecake. That's what he requested! He didn't want any variation of the cheesecake, just the classic cheesecake. (I also made him go to the store and get the things I didn't have... like cream cheese). I know, I know. Everyone (and their moms) should have cream cheese in their refrigerators at all time.



So on one hand, I really want to make the Marlene Sorosky oreo cheesecake from her book The Dessert Lover's Cookbook, but on the other hand, I really want to make Chef John's New York Style cheesecake. Oh the dilemma! So what did I do? I mashed their recipes together. Their main ingredients and their proportions were similar enough (except for the sour cream) that I think it works.

Ingredients:
Crust:
25 Oreo creme sandwich cookies (about 2 1/2 cups crumbs)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Filling:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 packages (8 ounces each) Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup cream (or milk)
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped Oreo creme sandwich cookies (about 15)

Sour Cream Topping:
1/4 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees f.

2. Crust: With a food processor, break up the oreo cookies until they're fine crumbs. Add in the butter (still in the food processor) until the crumbs are blended. Pour the buttered cookie crumbs into your springform pan and press evenly over the bottom and the sides (about 2/3 of the way up or however high you want the crust to come up to). Refrigerate while preparing filling.
If you don't have a food processor, you can crumble your cookies and put them in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Grab a rolling pin and start rolling that sucker flat. This is what I used to do before I got a food processor, and it works just fine.


Oreos in the food processor waiting to be crushed to pieces.


Butter!


Patting down the crust was a pretty good workout for my arms because I am weak.


3. Filling: In a bowl, place flour, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix well and set aside. I used the spoon that I scooped out the sour cream to mix with. I don't like taking out the mixer unless I really have a need for it because I'm super lazy.



4. In a separate bowl, place room temperature cream cheese and work it a little. I find it easiest to combine all these ingredients with a rubber spatula. You don't have to bust out the Kitchen Aid (which, by the way, I don't have)... unless you want to. Pour in sugar and salt and mix until will combined. Add in cream and mix until combined. Add in eggs one at a time and mix it into the cream cheese. Once that mixture is mixed, throw in the sour cream mixture so everyone can mingle.


Did I ever tell you that the Chopping Block and I have the same exact mixing bowls? We're cool.


So at this point, I think it's time for a little snack break. I dunked two oreo cookies into this batter and at them. It was amazingggggggg. Do it!

5. Pour half the batter into prepared crust. Sprinkle with chopped Oreos. Pour remaining batter over and smooth top with a spatula. Some of the Oreos may rise to the top but it's totally cool because you're going to top this cheesecake off anyways, so no one will see it. Shhh... just our little secret, kinda.




I'm going to tell you that 15 oreos here is not enough. Put more!



6. Place pan on baking sheet. Bake in the 425 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees and bake for an additional 50 minutes or until set. Remove cake from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.


As you can see, my cake cracked. Somehow I over heated the cake. :(


7. Sour Cream Topping: Stir together sour cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl. Spread sour cream mixture evenly over cake. Return to the 350 degree oven and bake 7 minutes or until sour cream begins to set. Remove from oven and cool in draft-free place to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Now I am very impatient and I've made many cheesecakes in my day, and I gotta tell you, a cheesecake that's rested overnight tastes a million times better than a fresh cheesecake. In fact, a warm cheesecake is pretty gross. Trust me.



So when the cake cooled down, I made some ol' fashion cream cheese icing. That's just cream cheese, a splash of vanilla extract, and a whole lotta powdered sugar. I didn't add cream or butter for the frosting. This is also totally optional, I just really like cream cheese icing.


I'm not very good at frosting cakes or piping icing, but I try!



As you can see from this slice, there is definitely not enough oreo chucks inside this cake! Next time, I'm going to put twice as many cookies (re: 30 cookies) inside this baby. Then we'll have a fine lookin' slice. But regardless of the low cookie content, it was still super awesome! Of course I stole some of this cake from Chris. :)

1 comment:

  1. Holy shniz, every cheese cake should have a chocolate crust.

    ReplyDelete