Saturday, January 7, 2012

Thumbprint Cookies



These jam filled cookies are one of my favorites! Someone brought these cookies to our Christmas party and I had to make my own! I was too shy to ask this person for their recipe, so I found one from Land O'Lake Butter. :)


Ingredients:
1 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
Jam of your choice

Instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, sugar, and almond extract together until well blended.



2. Get rid of your mixer or whisk or whatever you're using. It's time to get your hands dirty. Pour in the flour and mix with your hands until it's well blended and no more visible clumps of flour. I couldn't get you a picture because my hands were a mess and I was too lazy to wash them. The finished mixture will be very dry and crumbly, but don't worry!

3. Roll the dough into 1" diameter balls and place them 2" apart.



4. Using your thumb, smoosh the center of the balls! This is super fun! The edges of your cookie will be crumbly, but this gives it a nice texture and I like it. If you don't, you can smooth it out.



5. Fill each thumbprint with 1/4 teaspoon of jam. I used boysenberry jam. :D

6. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack.

These were so good, I ate 6 of them straight off the baking sheet. I am terrible, I know. If you really want to go crazy, you can sprinkle a bit of sugar on top of the cookies before baking so you'll get some sort of almond shortbread sugar cookie. :D

4 comments:

  1. It would be so cute if it's a bit bigger with paw prints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here to show you some love. I've always wanted to make thumbprint cookies. I'm going to have to try these.

    p.s. Your photos are great! I'm working on my food photography (slowly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should probably not venture further in our past posts because the photos were way awful!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I have to coax my mother into letting me use her better functional oven to make these! They look totally delicious! (and I'm such a scuker for everything with jam in it.)

    ReplyDelete