Tuesday, February 7, 2012

No Recipe's Lamb With Green Chili Masala

20120119-DSC_6913


Winter is finally here! Time for warm stew-like dishes to replace a real heater. Not only that, these usually require little real hands-on time and the end results make me look like I'm a cooking genius to other people.

Of course I'm not a cooking genius! That's why I got my recipe from No Recipes. Haha! You didn't really think I could come up with stuff like this myself, did you?


20120119-DSC_6844

First set of mix:
- 1 tbs kosher salt (I thought this turned out to be too salty, so maybe just half 1 tbs would be fine)
- 1 tbs cumin powder
- A bunch of ground black pepper

20120119-DSC_6858

Second set of mix:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder (the recipe called for black mustard seeds, I'm not fancy!)
- 1/2 tsp fennugreek powder (the recipe called for fennugreek seeds, again, I'm not fancy!)
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds

Note: I wasn't creative enough to make that smiley face, I can't take credit for it.


20120119-DSC_6848
Seven, you read that right, seven jalapeños peppers quartered and de-seeded.


20120119-DSC_6838
One giant onion sliced.


20120119-DSC_6841
A thumb-size chunk of dried tamarind and about 1 tablespoon of hot water mixed into a paste.


20120119-DSC_6854

I got a chunk of 3.28 lbs of lamb leg! The label lied, it said "semi-boneless," and I was being stupid so I only saw the "boneless" part. As it turned out, "semi-boneless" meant it still had a bone in it! What the hell? If it has a bone in, therefore, it's not boneless! What does semi-boneless mean, anyway?

I saved the bone for the next broth adventure, but the rest of the lamb got cubed and mixed well with the first mixture. *Remember, that's the one with the salt and pepper*


20120119-DSC_6866

Heat up some oil in a large pot to brown the lamb cubes. This is what I learned: the oil and pan has to be super hot for this to work. You want to really brown two (or four) sides of lamb cubes. I made the mistake of being hasty and not wait for oil to get hot and basically ended up with some pale pieces.

Remove the browned lamb cubes from pan. Add more oil to the pan.


20120119-DSC_6874

Add in the second mix. Stir around like crazy to toast the seeds. In my case, only the fennel and cumin seeds get toasted. Throw in a chunk, and by a chunk, I mean, about 1 tablespoon of garlic ginger paste. Stir that around quickly.


20120119-DSC_6876

Add the onion slides and stir like mad. I decided that it was too dried, so I added a delicious tablespoon of butter. Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is all soft and squishy.


20120119-DSC_6880

Add back the lamb cubes and their juices, stir to distribute. Then cover and cook that stuff on medium low for 1.5 hours. That's right. Sit back, relax, do other stuff. Basically, you want to cook the onions into soup!


20120119-DSC_6889

Time's up! 90 minutes passed. Throw in the jalapeños and taramind paste.


20120119-DSC_6898

I thought it was also too dry, so I added in about 1 cup of my pork bone broth. Of course you can use water or other types of broth. Again, stir and cook for another 1.5 hours!


20120119-DSC_6903

You're almost done now! Do the following:

1. Scoop out to a bowl.
2. Dust it with plenty of black pepper.
3. Throw on some cilantro.
4. Devour.

One end note:
- It was really good. No complain there. However, I think if I added a bay leaf and some stewed tomatoes, the sauce would be amazing!

I'm planning to make this again with the bay leaf and stewed tomatoes.

Have fun pretending to be a cooking genius!

3 comments:

  1. So I was watching Good Eats with Dave, and if you get a coffee bean grinder, you can use it as a spice grinder! So those toasted fennel and cumin seeds can be ground up (way easier than with a mortar and pestle) and the spices are more prominent. That is all! :D

    I actually really enjoyed the jalapeños peppers! Because they were deseeded, they weren't hot at all! :D

    I think another thing to try out next time is perhaps to cook it for 45 minutes to an hour instead of 1.5 hrs? When I made my beef stew and I stewed it for over an hour, the texture got really tough instead of "fall of the bone" (not that there were any bones) soft.

    But whatevs! The Boardman "household" thoroughly enjoyed your lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's how I feel about this recipe, too. It's good, but it needs more tweaks to meet my tastes (and maybe yours, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some awesome recipes, can't wait to try some of them at my house.

    Glad to know of this blog's existence, followed. ^_^

    ReplyDelete