Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pulled Pork

20110520-DSC_3085

First off, I have a few of apologies that I need to get out of the way; but I have a peace offering in the form of a cat picture.

1. I'm so sorry for neglecting this blog.

2. I'm so sorry for not having a pretty final product photo for this recipe. The reason being is that I was getting ready for finals, so I planned to cook a pot full of pulled pork to feed myself for at least 2 or 3 days. The way it actually turned out was that when it was finished, I got so hungry that I ate all of the pork in one day. Then I spent the other days starving.

3. I'm sorry, Helen, for making you do all of the updating!


20111210-DSC_6372
The ingredients!

- 1/2 cup (packed) of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt

Mix them well to form a rub. Rub dub gub pub!


20111210-DSC_6373
Slice half of a sweet onion.


20111210-DSC_6376
Get out a big pot, throw in about 3 tablespoons of butter, melt that shit! Add the sliced onions and cook on medium heat until they're nice, soft, translucent, and aromatic. That should be about 15 minutes or so. Be sure to stir often so the onions won't burn. I think onions and butter is a match made in heaven or something because it's too delicious.


20111210-DSC_6380
Cut up 3 lbs of pork shoulder into large cubes. Approximately 3"x3" is fine. Wash your stinky dinky dirty hands. Use those now clean hands to massage the dry rub into the pork. Imagine the pork shoulder cubes as the shoulders of your favorite lover or something and massage in the rub. Yes. Do that until the sugar is melted and the whole thing resembles a sticky mess.

Your onions and butter should be done about now.


20111210-DSC_6388
Add the pork into the pot. Pour in enough beef broth (you can use vegetable broth if you like) to cover the pork like so.


20111210-DSC_6389
Be adventurous, add in some spicy peppers! I think habanero peppers are super pretty. My original plan was to add two but I think I decided not to be crazy and only put in one.


20111210-DSC_6392
See? Only one pepper!


20111210-DSC_6393
Add in about 1/4 cup of ketchup. More if you like.

Cover with a lid and cook for 3 hours on low medium heat. My stove dial was from 1 - 10 and I cooked it on #3. Every half hour or so, I flipped the pieces around to make sure that the sides floating on top didn't get too dry.


20111210-DSC_6394
This was what it looked like after 3 hours. I fished out the meat and shredded them with a fork. Slathered of some those tasty gravy from the pot on top and ate it plain just like that.

But if you are fancy pants and want things to be done right. You should shred the pork with a fork, add in some BBQ sauce of your choice and wedge that mess between two buns and eat like a somewhat civilized person.

1 comment:

  1. :O
    I'm definitely making this one day! Also, I like your white bowl. :)
    (this is Helen, btw)

    ReplyDelete