Sunday, November 20, 2011

Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting


I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches; it's one of my all time favorite breakfast/snack foods. I remember when I first read about it in 3rd grade and we had to read this vampire bunny novel. The main character was making a banana peanut butter sandwich, and at first I was like, "Man, that sounds gross!" Of course I had to try it, right? And it turned out to be awesome. A few years ago I decided to add some honey on top, and it was marvelous. More recently I saw a photo from my friend where he sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon on top of it, and of course I had to try that too, and it was even more awesome! Anyways, I've decided to turn this awesomeness into cupcake form!

So where do we start? I did a quick Google search and found a recipe from Bon Appetit and Cookies and Cups. My recipe is an adaptation of these.

Ingredients:
Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 box of Jello banana pudding
2 very ripe large bananas, peeled
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs

Frosting:
1-1/4 cup room temp peanut butter
8 oz room temp cream cheese
2 tbsp milk
1 tspn vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup powdered sugar

Miscellaneous:
Some honey
Some cinnamon

Directions:
Cupcakes:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan (with 12 liners).
2. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl (or food processor), mash the bananas until ... well mashed? Stir in the sour cream and the vanilla extract until smooth.
4. In yet another bowl, cream/whip butter until fluffy. Add in the sugar and whip until well combined. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
5. Grab your mashed bananas and slowly add mix it into the butter/sugar mixture. Now slowly add in your flour mixture. You can mix by hand to make sure you don't overmix your flour.






The cupcake batter will be on the very thick side of batters.

6. Fill each liner with about 1/4 cup of batter. Stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to see if your cupcakes are done. If it comes out clean, then the cupcakes are done cooking. I over filled my cupcake liners, and it took me 25 minutes until they were done.





7. Leave cupcakes in pan for about 10 minutes before taking them out and letting them cool on a rack.



Frosting:

This is pretty much the same recipe I used in the Inside Out Peanut Butter Cup cupcakes recipe. In mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese until fluffy and combined. Add in milk and vanilla extract. Mix in powdered sugar. You may not need to use all the powdered sugar so add it a little at 1/2 cup at a time until it reaches your desired consistency and/or sweetness. Also, just a fair warning, you're going to have A LOT of frosting.

Miscellaneous:

After your cupcakes have cooled, get our your piping bag and tips and frost the cupcakes. After they've been frosting, sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on each of them and drizzle some honey.



... AND YOU'RE DONE!

2 comments:

  1. In your ingredient list, you had Jell-o Banana Pudding, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the cooking instructions... o:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a box for Safeway, but I've seen it at Krogers too. If you can't find it, don't worry, you can omit it. I just threw it in because I had it sitting in my pantry for awhile. The real bananas that you're going to throw in there will be enough flavor. Also the sour cream, bananas, and butter already makes the cupcake super moist. Hope that helps!

      Delete