Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze



Oh my god! It's that time of year again! That time of year when you walk into your grocery store, and it's stocked with pumpkins! Can you help but buy a ton of pumpkin (and pumpkin related groceries)? I think not! And if you can resist, there is something wrong with you, my friend. Last year around this time of year I made a pumpkin loaf with Iva. This time it's a cake instead of bread! Yay!




Mmmm. Pumpkin.

So I bought a can of pumpkin and I was considering making a different pumpkin bread, but the I came across Smitten Kitchen's pumpkin cupcakes recipe, and I just had to make it! Of course I varied the recipe a little because I didn't exactly have everything it called for... like a cupcake pan. Oops. So I made a cake instead. :D

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing pans
1 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I didn't have this on hand. :|)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (I also do not like cloves, so it was also omitted.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (This sounded too weird, so it was also omitted.)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (I used almost the entire 15 oz can, which is like 1/2 cup more than needed)


1. Preheat the oven to 350° (175°C).

2. From reading all my food blogs, a nifty trick to get your butter to room temperature is to use a microwave. Heat up the butter for 10 seconds and then turn it. Do that until the butter is softened. But... if you are a prepared person who took the butter out an hour beforehand, you can skip that step! Beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy. Add the two eggs one at a time.

Your mixture should look kind of like this:



3. Combine all your dry ingredients. I like to sift my flour while I'm adding it into the mixture. You want to alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat in the pumpkin until smooth.


This photo was pre-pumpkin.


4. Spray (or butter) your 9" spring form pan. Pour batter in it, and gently level.



5. If you're using a 9" spring form pan, it takes about 35 minutes to bake through. Do check with a toothpick to make sure that cake is done though!



So a note here is that since this recipe is meant for cupcakes, this cake is pretty fragile (due to its size). It is suppppppper soft and delicate. I wanted to transfer it on a baking rack, but midway through my motions of lifting the cake, I decided that would be a bad idea. So I just left it in my spring form pan.

6. While the cake was baking, you can make your cream cheese frosting. In Smitten Kitchen's recipe, she's using a full on thick cream cheese frosting, but I decided to go with a cream cheese glaze. Because I am a terrible person, I don't really have exact measurements for you, but here's a list of the ingredients I did use:

1 (8-oz) block of cream cheese, softened
powdered sugar
pinch of salt
tablespoon lemon juice
milk
touch of honey

Basically I just added more milk than you would normally so it's thinner.

Here's how it looks like in a bowl:




AND THEN YOU EAT!!!!


OOooOooOooooo. Look at the steam coming off of it. Niiiiiiiiiice.



So onto a more "personal" note, I'm no longer shooting photos with my phone! Huzzah! Did you guys notice?! I just got a Canon 40D, and it's my first SLR camera, so bare with me as I learn how to use it! :D

1 comment: