Monday, September 26, 2011

Pizza Dough



I've been baking a lot of pizza lately because it turns out that making pizza is really easy. Seriously! All it takes is time, so plan ahead. It'll at least an hour for your dough to rise. The recipes say that you can refrigerate the dough overnight and use it the next day as well.



I've made a few different different including one from Simply Recipes and one from Epicurious. It's all pretty much the same. It's always the same ingredients, just in different proportions. Today I'm showing you one from Epicurious.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
2 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
herb seasonings (optional)

1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water into food processor. Stir in yeast and sugar. I used brown sugar, but it really doesn't matter. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes. I decided to use a food processor because it's SO MUCH easier. Whenever I mixed the dough by hand, I always lose about 1/3 of the dough because it's stuck to my hand. With the food processor, everything is really tidy.




Your yeast will rise slightly like above.


2. Dump in the flour, salt, olive oil, and any additional seasonings into the yeast.



3. Pulse the mixture in your food processor. At first you're going to think you need more water, but stop! Don't add more water. Your dough will come together soon enough.



See how clean that is? There's no dough stuck anywhere, just a nice awesome ball of dough.

4. Oil up the ball of dough with some additional olive oil and place it in a bowl. Put plastic wrap on it to make sure all of it is covered, if you don't, a skin will form around the dough. I preheated my oven at 200 degrees for about five minutes just to make sure the oven is warm. Then I turned it off. I just wanted a nice warm place for the dough to rise for an hour. You can put it anywhere that's warm.



5. After an hour, your dough would look like this:



Now comes the fun part. Punch it down! Don't worry, it's fun!



6. I suggest working on a floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out your dough.



After rolling it out, you might want to brush on a little bit of olive oil onto the crust, but whatever! Do what you want. Top it with whatever your favorite toppings are. Put it in the oven for like 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

I made a thick bready crust pizza and a normal thin-ish crust pizza.



2 comments: