Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Inside Out Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes



So I baked these cupcakes for a very special person who loooooovvvvveeeees Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. They're cute little chocolate cupcakes filled with a chocolate custard and topped with a peanut butter and cream cheese frosting! They're absolutely amazing! And if you know me, I don't even like chocolate very much, much less something so decadent!


So there are three parts to this recipe: cupcake, custard, and frosting. The cupcakes were adapted from Martha Stewart and the frosting was adapted from A Farm Girl's Dabbles. I follow recipes pretty loosely, so I guess more or less, I was inspired by these recipes.


Cupcakes:

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup melted chocolate
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup greek yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. Pour in melted chocolate and greek yogurt, and mix well.
3. Add in flour mixture and mix by hand. You don't want to over mix your flour or else your cupcake turns kind of "bready."
4. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Custard

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp sugar
3 oz chocolate
1 tsp vanilla

1. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk so that it's pretty hot (but not boiling); immediately remove from the heat.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until it follows into ribbons. Stir in cornstarch and sugar until they are smooth and add a small bit of the hot milk to the eggs, stirring constantly. Add in all the milk into the egg mixture and continue to stir, you do not want to cook your eggs.
2. Transfer the warmed egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat the mixture over low-medium heat (stirring constantly). Add in your chocolate and bring mixture to a low boil. Continue to stir until mixture is well combined and all the chocolate is melted. Add in vanilla extract. Chill the custard completely before using.

Peanut Butter Frosting:

3/4 cup room temp peanut butter
4 oz room temp cream cheese
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

In mixer, beat peanut butter and cream cheese until fluffy and combined. Add in vanilla extract. Mix in powdered sugar.

To assemble:

1. When cupcakes are cooled (completely... or reasonably), cut out little holes in them and keep the cut out. Fill the holes with a big blob of the cooled custard. Place little cut-out back on top of cup cake.



2. Frost cupcakes!

_________________________________________________



Cupcake pan filled!


Chocolate custard!


Cupcakes baked!


So I decided to make my own peanut butter, and it took much longer than I had expected! I swear it took 15 minutes straight in the food processor! And when it first started, it sounded like thunder with all the peanuts hitting the side of the plastic housing. It was scary. My cats were scared.


Frosting (that looks way more yellow in this photo than it actually looks like)!


So I am terrible at frosting things. Never let me frost your wedding cake, it'll look like little maggots have gotten to it first before you did. D:

The end! :D

5 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! Though I must say the drizzled frosting makes me think of brains more than maggots for some reason...yummy Halloween party treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeses! I thought you said " a very special person who loooooovvvvveeeees me."

    So, question: what made you decide to have the chocolate custard INSIDE the cupcake and not the peanut butter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I made 12 cupcakes last night, we only have three cupcakes left! :O

    @Drea - Hmm, brains does sound a lot more appetizing than maggots! :D

    @the chopping block - I don't know why I didn't think of other fillings. It just felt so right to have a chocolate custard filling... but I guess I should switch it up and maybe even put in a marshmallow filling! :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen! Over coffee w/ my friend Jen this morning she mentioned that ppl are eating fried maggots! I thought of you. Just fyi. (ppl fry and eat anything...sounds super gross, mind. Cuz its maggots...and cuz it's fried)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure they're delicious but I have to tell you they look like they're piled with earthworms! BTW, it's Feb. 9th and I came to your site after reading about it on Reddit, where it reached my first page. Congrats, and try to take advantage while you can! I have you bookmarked and will definitely give some of your recipes a try, minus the worms.

    ReplyDelete