Sunday, July 3, 2011

Caramelized Onions, Mushroom, and Spinach Quiche



So you might think this is a break from the burger experiments, but I kid you not, I've been eating hamburgers non-stop. Last night I had a mushroom and caramelized onion burger. Yup. This morning I decided it would be a great idea to make a quiche with mushrooms and caramelized onions. This is my first quiche, and I didn't follow any recipes. Dave predicts that it will be disgusting. We'll show him!


Ingredients:
1 pie crust (or make your own)
1 red onion
3 baby portabello mushrooms
1 10-oz bag of baby spinach
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
3 oz Gruyère cheese, grated
4 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
nutmeg
salt
pepper

I decided to go to Trader Joe's this morning when they opened (at 8AM) because I woke up at 6:30AM this morning. Yup, I am officially a super old person. Anyways, the instructions below are assuming you got a frozen pie crust like I did, that's why I just made everything linearly in one pan while waiting for my pie crust to defrost.

1. Defrost pie crust.
2. Slice onions and place in a hot pan with olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Caramelizing onions takes forever, with forever meaning like 15-20 minutes.
3. Slice portabello mushrooms thinly while the onions are cooking. Once the onions are done, place in a bowl and set aside. Put mushrooms into pan with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. It'll cook relatively quickly, like five minutes.
4. Take cooked mushrooms out and set aside. Dump in your bag of spinach and cook for about 5 minutes. Add some salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. Line your pie pan with the pie crust and bake it per its directions. Take out your pie crust and let cool a bit.
6. Line bottom of pan with gruyere cheese. Top with onions, mushrooms, spinach, and goat cheese.
7. In a large bowl, crack four eggs and add in milk, salt, pepper, and some nutmeg. Mix well.
8. Pour egg mixture into your pie crust and top off with more gruyere cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
9. Pop into oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, and then turn it down to 350 degrees for another 30.
10. Let is rest until cooled, then slice and serve!

The quiche was awwwwwwwesome. The balsamic really adds a lot of flavor and "umph" to the quiche. I think I might have added a little too much gruyere cheese (even though I love that stuff), so you should probably go a little lighter. I also apologize for never having measurements for salt, pepper, and in this case, nutmeg. I just never measure things out. I just season it until it feels right... which I know is very unhelpful. :(

I was also debating if I should have added some tomatoes to it, but I thought it might make my quiche too watery and too much, so I opted against it. If you want, you can make one with tomatoes too and prove me wrong! :D

So if you've been following along, I have no lights in my kitchen and I have no camera. The following photos are not great because I've been using the fluorescent lamp in the kitchen and my camera phone for everything.





Once the mushrooms are cooked, it always seems like you don't have enough! :O



The same for the spinach! This was an entire bag of spinach!



Here's the pie crust prior to baking. I had to poke it with a fork to make sure no air bubble builds, but I failed. There was this one air pocket in it. :(





Layered and filled! NICE! Time to bake it!



And it's done baking! :D



So pretty!





NOM TIME! :D :D

3 comments:

  1. I found this on pinterest and made it with roasted bell pepper instead of the mushrooms and it was delicious. Im back tonight subbing in cherry tomatoes for the mushrooms--the husband is not a mushroom fan. I cant wait to eat it. Definitely one of my favorite recipes right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete