Saturday, July 2, 2011

Burger Experiment #3

20110627-DSC_4549

To continue on with the Burger Experiment spreadsheet, I decided to make curry burger because it seemed easiest to make for a lazy dinner.

I decided to use Thai red curry paste because it's something I already had in my cupboard.


20110627-DSC_4517
I had about 3 sprigs of sweet Thai basil and 1/4 of a large onion. I don't even know why I decided to put in the onion, but I did.


20110627-DSC_4523
The 1/4 onion was diced and cooked for about 5 minutes in 1 tablespoon of butter.


20110627-DSC_4524
The basil leaves were roughly tore and thrown in to cook with the onion for about 1 minute.


20110627-DSC_4527
About 2 tablespoons of Thai red curry paste were added and cooked for another minute. I let this mixture cool to the touch.


20110627-DSC_4533
I tried to mix the basil, onion, and curry mixture into the burger meat without much mixing as possible. The key for burgers not to fall apart when cooking (without having to add egg and bread crumbs) is to not mix the ground beef. All you want to do is to help push the meat together to form a patty. The hard part is to incorporate the curry mixture into the burger meat without over-mixing the burger meat. I think I did an alright job.


20110627-DSC_4536
I fried the burgers in an iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter.


20110627-DSC_4540
I spread some sweet and spicy mustard (very tasty) and ketchup on the buns.


20110627-DSC_4543
You all know how to stack up a burger, right? Right! It looked like that.


20110627-DSC_4547
Top off with the other bun and eat!


My thought on this experiment: The burger was really tasty but it tasted a lot like the Thai fish cakes but with beef instead of fish. I think it would taste a lot better if I didn't use mustard, ketchup, and the regular burger buns. I wish I have the rice patties like the type they have in Asian McDonald's instead of buns.

Will I make this again? Yes, I think it was quite successful.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. When I wrote down "curry burger" i was imagining a regular burger except it was topped with japanese brown curry. It's almost like a sloppy joe except you have a formed patty (re: not very many toppings).

    Also, what is this secret sweet and spicy mustard????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snap! I guess I misunderstood your "curry burger." That's OK, it means I will have another burger experiment to do with Japanese curry.

    The sweet and spicy mustard is just a Safeway brand.

    ReplyDelete