Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brownie Roll Out Cookies

20110618-DSC_4300

I've been baking a lot lately. I don't know why but I find baking simple cookies a relaxing activity. So when Helen sent me this brownie roll-out cookie recipe from Smitten Kitchen, I felt like I had to make it right away...because I was um..."stressed out" and needed some relaxing.


20110618-DSC_4265
Two sticks of butter softened and sliced for the ease of beating. The recipe called for 1 stick salted and 1 stick unsalted, but I only had unsalted. Frankly, my palate is too unrefined to tell the difference, so I didn't care too much.


20110618-DSC_4268
Because I have a love for brown sugar, I used 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.


20110618-DSC_4272
Beat sugar and butter into a fluffy mixture. I got used to this step by now.


20110618-DSC_4273
I beat in two eggs, one at a time. Can someone explain to me why I always have to add one egg, beat to mix, then add in another egg, beat to mix, etc.? I don't understand what is the significance of these steps? It seems like it would be just the same if I throw in all the eggs and beat at once.


20110618-DSC_4275
The recipe said to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract but seriously, I just poured in a bunch. Words on the street is that the human males are attracted to the smell of vanilla more than the odorless female pheromones. In this case, I should have males flocking around me at all time, but I didn't see any! What the hell, words-on-the-street?


20110618-DSC_4279
2/3 cup of those cheap Hershey cocoa powder!


20110618-DSC_4280
Added to the butter-sugar-egg-vanilla bowl to be mixed. To prevent blasting myself and the kitchen with a coat of fine cocoa powder, I draped the bowl with a piece of paper towel like so. Disaster averted! Well, not entirely averted, but disaster was greatly decreased in intensity. Of course, you can use a kitchen towel, too. It would provide more coverage.


20110618-DSC_4285
In a separate bowl (it's not a blue bowl anymore), I mixed together the following:

3 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder


20110618-DSC_4290
I added about 1/3 of the flour mixture back to the blue bowl (the one with the butter and eggs), covered with the paper towel and mixed. Then, repeat!


20110618-DSC_4294
I took out a chunk of dough and rolled it out with my fancy pance rolling pin. I used the set of cookie cutter my sister got me for Christmas a couple of years ago.


20110618-DSC_4299
The cookies got baked in a 350 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Actually, I had two sets of cookie cutters, one large set and one small set. For the large cookies, I baked for 8 minutes and the smaller cookies, I baked for 5 minutes. As you can see, I'm using my new fancy pance cookie cooling rack that Helen got for me for no reason! I have a lot of cooking/baking related stuff from people. It's awesome!


20110618-DSC_4301
A whole pot full of cookies! Yeah, a pot because I didn't have an air tight container large enough to store them all. Then I put a lid on top of the pot and taped over the vent hole on the lid. I'm a ghetto baking genius!


20110618-DSC_4302
Bonus giraffe cookie!


Condensed version of the recipe from Smitten Kitchen:

Ingredients:

2 sticks soften butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup cocoa powder

3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F!!!
Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy.
Add 1 egg at time and beat to mix well.
Add vanilla and beat to mix.
Add 2/3 cup cocoa powder to the mix, cover bowl and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Add flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture in small quantity and mix until all are incorporated.

Dust a rolling surface with some flour and roll out a chunk of dough at a time until dough is about 1/4" thick.
Cut into shapes with cookie cutter.
Mix the leftover dough with new dough and repeat.

Bake cookies for 8 minutes, remove from oven and let cool on cooling racks.

Smitten Kitchen was right, these are not your regular sugar cookies. They are more like brownies: chocolaty, soft, and chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment