Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Swirly Chocolate (Chip) Cookies



So here's a cookie that's all swirly with chocolate swirls. I hope you noticed that label of "misadventure" because these were supposed to be chocolate chip cookies and not these swirly cookies! D:


The cookies were made from Smitten Kitchen's "Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies," but I failed. I think I interpreted her instructions incorrectly. She said use "melted butter." I did a double take and re-read the instructions too, and it said, "In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended." Okay, in my head, I got really confused. How do I cream melted butter? I just assumed that she accidentally typed "cream" because she's so used to a regular chocolate chip cookie, but she really truly meant "melted," especially since it said "melted butter" on the ingredients list.

So why is this important? Because I melted the butter and added the brown & white sugar to my pot ... and then I decided wouldn't it be awesome if I browned the butter and kind of caramelized the mixture too? Fantastic idea, right?! So... I'm also very impatient, and I didn't want to wait for my bubbling hot caramel-y browned butter to cool. I added it into my mixture, and then I added my chocolate chips, which melted. D: Hence there are no real "chips" in my cookie batter, just big melted chocolate "swirlies." Whatever, they are delicious and awesome, albeit a little flatter/greaser than they were meant to be. Oh well. Maybe next time.





2 comments:

  1. These look like a misadventure gone awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, they were really soft and chewy in the center and crispy at the edges, so it was definitely a win! :D

    ReplyDelete