Monday, June 20, 2011

Pork Lettuce Wraps



Pork. Pork pork pork pork. I don't think I eat much pork. Oh wait, yes I do. I eat a lot of the Chopping Block's Lemongrass Pork Chops, bacon, some barbecue pork, some roast pork and .... more bacon. But you see, there's not a whole lot of ground pork in the mix. To be honest, I bought the ground pork to make some fish paste & pork patties. Sounds gross? Eh. I can't tell you because I decided to make this dish instead.



So this recipe came into my RSS feed from Serious Eats, and I had to make it! Of course, I tweaked it a lot... I am creative? Or maybe I was just trying to get ride of these shiitake mushrooms I've had since forever. Also believe it or not, I actually had all these ingredients just hanging out in my fridge. I'm a lucky girl.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 Garlic Clove
1 tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 medium White Onion
1/2 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
1/3 lb Ground Pork
1/4 of a large yellow pepper
1/2 cup Shredded Carrots
4 oz Water Chestnuts
Salt
Pepper
Iceburg Lettuce


Since the Chopping Block did such a fantastic job with her food prep in her last post, I felt obligated to be less lazy. Here is my rendition of her shot:





From top going clockwise: Carrots, diced onions, diced peppers, sliced shiitake mushrooms, diced chestnuts, and garlic in the center.



1. Heat up some good ol' olive oil in your hot skillet. Throw in your garlic, carrots, and onions. Sautee for like... 5 minutes?
2. Throw in your pork into the same skillet, and cook for .... 3 minutes? (until it's no longer pink)
3. Throw in your mushrooms, peppers, and chestnuts. Heat through... so about 3 minutes?
4. Add in your hoisin and oyster sauces. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve with some clean fresh crisp lettuce leaves!






Sorry, kids. I'm still taking photos with my phone... and I'm still cooking in the dark. I refuse to buy light bulbs. I don't know! I'm moving in 1.5 months! I don't want to give them light bulbs!

3 comments:

  1. Oops. I forgot to resize one of the photos. Too bad. Now you get a super nice high res photo of my pork lettuce wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! this is like a chap chae with lettuce rather than noodles! Maybe I'll make this with spinach!

    And, damn, that iphone has an awesome camera. You don't need any fancy pance Nikon.

    ReplyDelete