Saturday, June 4, 2011

Leafy Pizza


There've been so many meaty dishes on this site, I wanted to contribute a veggilicious one :P Pizza is one of my, "I'm so tired," dishes. Y'know, one of the meals you could fix with your eyes closed? So I almost never play with the recipe. Tonight, because my exhaustion struck on Friday, I found a mostly covered 2nd crust in my fridge and new "Oh, I need to do pizza again before the crust goes stale."



So when I knew it was coming, I gave myself more time to cook. I picked up fresh basil at Trader Joe's (and Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce--which I use instead of pizza sauce), I had a bag of shredded Mozzarella in the fridge that needed to be used up, and a bag of spinach leaves...


So can you tell which is spinach and which basil? The order was: marinara, mozzarella, basil, then spinach...


Next went tomato and mushrooms, which I diced while popping the chicken into the microwave. In a small frying pan I combined: balsamic vinegar, olive oil and crushed garlic:


I then diced and added the (already cooked) chicken to the pan and let it simmer until the sauce was cooked into the meat.

then I spread the meat around the top of the pizza, added olives and a second layer of mozzarella.

Side Note: the double layer of cheese is a "signature" of mine that traces back to a time i still lived at home and "the girls" were over. I was making pizza for everyone and Helen said "That's not enough cheese!" so ever since, I've done one layer on top of the sauce, and one on top of the rest of the veggies... Thanks Helen!

This pizza was especially yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment