Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fruit Filled Meatballs



So we have meatballs again! Haha. Yes, the Chopping Block still has an obsession with hamburgers and even created a shared document for hamburger ideas, and so I guess now I'm in that ground beef kind of rut too. I happen to have some mangos and pineapples along with some awesome guacamole ingredients, and so this concoction was born. Well, I guess it was also heavily influenced by the fact that mangos & avocados together are the bomb. The Chopping Block always raves to me about how awesome guacamole topped hamburgers are (this is why I have the guacamole ingredients), and so the hamburger journey continues.


So this was pretty much the same meatball recipe I used last week except no green onions and a little bit of sugar (and lemon juice). So you really don't need that much fruit since each meatball can only hold so much, and over stuffing it would be a crime (or more like it would be really messy)!





Ingredients
Guacamole
9 oz ground beef (80/20)
2 cloves roasted garlic, minced
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 egg
salt
pepper
1/4 cup finely dice mango & pineapple

1. Combine beef, garlic, worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, egg, salt and pepper. Mix!
2. Separate beef mixture into ten even sized balls.
3. Using the back of a small spoon, create divots in each of the meatball. If the meatball falls apart, don't worry.
4. Scoop a small amount of the fruit mixture into each meatball but be careful to not overfill. If you want to add more or less fruit to each meatball, it's all up to you.
5. Cupping the meatball in the palm of your hand, try to carefully wrap the beef around the fruit. You want to make sure the fruit is not mashed into the meatball because then it wouldn't be a fruit filled meatball anymore.
6. I put my meatballs in the fridge for about 15 minutes to firm up before cooking, but I'm guessing you don't really have to. Depending on this step or not, adjust when you preheat your oven!
7. Bake meatballs at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
8. Take meatballs out, plate, and top with guacamole!

2 comments:

  1. so, was the meatballs the BOMB? you make me want to go and eat a bowl of guac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *were
    I'm not very good with grammar, see.

    ReplyDelete