Saturday, May 28, 2011

Strawberry Bread Puding



I cleaned out my fridge last week, and found that I'd been hoarding bread. I had 3 of these bowls. That's a LOT of bread pudding. I made bread pudding over the holiday season, partially out of curiosity. That one was a different recipe (there are a bazillion) but the basic one is super simple.




My love affair with bread pudding started at a family restaurant when I was in High School. Back then, my family went out to eat every weekend. I discovered that on one weekend a month (I forget if it was the 1st or last) the family's favorite restaurant made bread pudding from bread (clearly) and whatever fruit was in season. When there wasn't much in season, there would be chocolate chip bread pudding.

Plenty of restaurants now offer bread pudding as a dessert, but it isn't often the same. Not like the home-made feel of the dish at this one local spot.

I first tried to replicate bread pudding when I was 21. I followed this thorough recipe for pumpkin bread pudding with brandy sauce...and it was fancy, but it didn't taste right. It was yummy, sure, but not what I thought bread puding should taste like.

So I found this recipe on AllRecipes.com:

6 slices day-old bread
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

But I didn't follow it to the letter. Rather than measuring 6 slices, I tossed enough bread in to fill the pan, then dumped the other mixture on top.

Also, rather than a 1/2 cup raisins, I used a full cup of frozen strawberries (which I had sliced and frozen at the end of strawberry season last fall).

Bread goes down first. Then, I sprinkled/smooshed strawberries on top. The rest of the ingredients are mixed (wet first, then dry) and drizzled over the bread.

The entire thing is baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Because of the pan I used, it came out a bit flat...but it tastes right. Very yummy! A scoop of vanilla ice cream is a superb accompaniment to bread-pudding-as dessert, but I just don't have any :(

2 comments:

  1. did you put english muffins into your bread pudding!? :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used any stale or almost-stale bread. So yeah, I had sourdough, wheat bread, English muffins and mini bagels...it all works! I am big on doing my best not to waste, so that does mean following recipes tentatively and with much flexing :P But the result is nummy! :)

    ReplyDelete