Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chicken & Shrimp Lo Mein



When my friend, Iva's, mom came to visit her, I was invited back for dinner! Yay! So her mom made a seafood lo-mein, and she got all her ingredients from Whole Foods, so there's no need for an exotic trip to the asian grocery store. Her mom's was way better than mine, but I've only attempted this dish a couple of times. Her dish was a little saucy, and she used corn starch (a staple in a Chinese kitchen), which I don't have with me in Pittsburgh and I was too lazy (and cheap) to buy some.



Ingredients
(serves three hungry adults)
1 handful of "Oriental Style Noodles," about 2" in diameter
1/2 Napa Cabbage
1 Large Chicken breast, sliced
1 dozen shrimp
2 cloves of garlic
oil
salt
pepper
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce

1. Prepare your noodles (or mein) per package directions.
2. While your noodles are cooking, chop your cabbage, chicken, and clean your shrimp.
3. When noodles are done, drain and set aside.
4. Season your meats and cabbage with some salt and pepper. You want to cook your chicken, shrimp, and cabbage separately. If you have three pans, you can do it concurrently. Add oil as needed.
5. In a large pot (or wok), heat up some oil and add in garlic.
6. Once the garlic is slightly browned, combine noodles, chicken, shrimp, and cabbage.
7. Add in the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
8. Once the noodles are hot, it's done!

You can easily make this a vegetarian dish by substituting tofu for the meats and using a vegetarian oyster sauce.








Depending on how thin you sliced your chicken, the cooking time will vary. I think it took me five minutes to cook the chicken slices.


The shrimp is done when it turns a bright orange color.


The cabbage is done when it's wilted. I think it took me about 10 minutes to fully cook the cabbage.



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...tasty...you should make me some! Actually, I think I'll try to make this but with ramen noodles.

    ReplyDelete