Monday, November 22, 2010

Smitten Kitchen Monkey Cake

Monkey cake

This is not exactly a food post, but I have pictures of a cake, so it sorta count.

My friend's, Michael, little nephew is recently diagnosed with leukemia. I met the little guy 2 years ago and he was the coolest kid. He plays the violin and sings and generally is a very happy little guy. I was so sad when I hear the news and didn't really know what to do for him. So I baked him this cake.

I got the idea from Smitten Kitchen and the cake recipe from The Pioneer Woman.

Obviously, you can see that Smitten Kitchen's cake totally kicked my cake's ass. But I learned a lot from this experience. I learned:

1. If you don't have a food processor when making frosting, it's a good idea to soften the butter, cream it, then slowly add the sugar.

2. When melting chocolate chips, add a little bit of butter so it could act like a lubricant and also stir often so the chocolate won't burn. And if you happen to semi burn the chocolate, do NOT put it in the microwave to melt the rest in an attempt to save it. It will create a hell lot of smoke.

What I also learned while baking is that I am thankful for my general good health. If I want to go join a half marathon, I can do it. If I want to go swimming in the ocean, I can do that, too. If I want to hike up the hill, no problem. I do not have aches and pains. I simply just have to tell myself to do something and I can do it. Even when I wake up tomorrow and I have nothing left, I can still get everything back simply because I have good health. So take care of your health. Most healthy people do not realize that they are luckier than a lot of people and they just sit around to mope just because they don't have the most luxurious car or the latest whatever. The best gift you can give to the ones you love is to keep your good health.

To take this a bit further, may I also encourage you to take the time to consider donating bone marrow? If you can, please consider it.

So if you don't have any money and want to help the world, you can give a kid some of your bone marrow (which you are making naturally in your body without thinking about it).

If you have all of the money in the world and don't know what to do with it, consider donating to the Marine Mammal Center to help save a seal or a sea lion. If you have all of the time in the world and are around the Bay Area, you can join a crew (I'm in the Monday night crew) to feed and care for them. They are the most adorable things in the world.

If you think this post is shit because you don't give a crap about the world, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Now it's time for me to step off my soapbox. But I really do hope that for this Thanksgiving, you take the time to be thankful for all the things you have and not of the things you wish you have.

Monkey cake

No comments:

Post a Comment