Sunday, November 14, 2010

Homefries



This morning I made myself a delicious omelette with a side of home fries and three strips of extra thick bacon. I always need a side of homefries with my Sunday morning brunch, but lots of brunch places have bland and boring homefries, and then I'm left disappointed. One of the very few good things about moving to Pittsburgh is Pamela's. Besides having good (and very different) hotcakes, they also have tasty potatoes (menu item lyonnaise potatoes). Definitely a must-try if you are in the area. So my creation this morning was a mix between Pamela's lyonnaise potatoes and a bacon baked potato. Nothing can go wrong with such a beautiful combination!


I'm actually in Newport, Kentucky this weekend and staying at my boyfriend's dad's house, and i found about two pounds of potatoes that were getting pretty old in his fridge, which was what prompted this dish. All the ingredients were just things I found around the house, which is pretty neat if you ask me!

Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes
salt
pepper
1 clove garlic
1/4 stick butter
1/2 of a large white onion
1 stalk green onion
1 strip bacon
handful of shredded cheddar cheese

1. Wash and peel potatoes. Chop them up in at three different sizes: small, medium, and large.
2. Slice up onion and mince garlic.
3. In a large skillet, drop in all the potatoes and one cup of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer until water has evaporated (about 15 minutes).
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add in the garlic, onion, and butter in with the potatoes.
6. Chop up green onion into 1/4" - 1/2" long pieces. Set aside.
7. Sautee until onions are translucent in color and the potatoes are browned on both sides. Make sure the potatoes are fully cooked.
8. Cook bacon strip and pat dry with paper towel. Break into small pieces.
9. Plate potatoes and sprinkle cheese, bacon, and green onions.




The potatoes are cut up to different sizes so they have different cooking times. Why? Because it's nice to have a few different textures in the homefries. The small ones get a little mushy (which I like), and it's just kind of fun!




So for some crazy reason, I thought that I can just saute the potatoes until they were tender. That's why I have this photo, but you should probably just follow my instructions above.


So I picked this stalk of green onion in the garden. It still has dirt on it! See! See!




Here's me boiling the potatoes until they were soft and cooked.




I don't think it really matters, but I chopped up the bacon while I was waiting for the potatoes to soften up. You don't have to.


See how pretty the potatoes are browned!



The potatoes were really delicious! I hope you try it!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I think I shall try this if I'm not too lazy next weekend.
    -brendan

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's green onions growing in Ohio right now????? I never knew why home fries were all cut in difference sizes. Now I know! Them fries need more bacons, btw. :D

    ReplyDelete