Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fish Taco With Mango Salsa

DSCF4929

Whenever the weather gets cold, I make Mexican food. What? Oh well, fish tacos it is! Recipe was taken from SimplyRecipes

I always feel like tacos are such a rip off when you buy it. Two or three small tacos for $5 or $6? No, thank you! Even I, a 105 lbs female, feel like two tacos aren't much of a snack. Let me tell you that when I made these tacos to feed three people, it only cost me less than $10 and there wasn't much "cooking" to do, just a lot of chopping.


Let me get some chopping out of the way first.

DSCF4909
I roughly chopped about 10 stalks of cilantro, a large shallot, and a small heart of romaine lettuce.


DSCF4907
Next up was some fancy peeling and dicing of a medium riped mango. Yummmm. Notice that I'm very bad at cutting/chopping things in tiny pieces so my diced mango pieces were a bit too large.


DSCF4908
The avocado met the same fate as the mango. Hee! I used a bit of lime juice to make sure they won't brown.



In a bowl, or in my case, a shallow dish, I mixed together the cilantro, shallot, and mango. Then I squeezed in half a lime. So this is what I learned from my mom, if you go buy lime, squeeze it a little. If it gives easily, that means the lime has very thin rind and is super juicy. If it's hard to squeeze, the rind is too thick and you should leave it back at the bin for the next sucker to buy.


DSCF4916
I added 1/4 teaspoon of salt and some ground black pepper; then stir everything together. I had a lot of fun stirring stuff together. That was it for the mango salsa.


DSCF4921
I got two large swai fillets (about 1/2 lb), patted them dry, and seasoned it with some salt and pepper.


DSCF4925
They got fried up on with a bit of vegetable oil - about 2 minutes on each side. I like to have mine a bit charred on the outter layer. Remove them from heat and break it up into large chunks.

Now, here comes the really hard part. Are you ready?

DSCF4929
Warm up some tortillas. Most people use corn tortillas, but I prefer flour tortillas so that was what I used. Throw in the fish, mango salsa, diced avocados, and romaine lettuce. Fold and eat.

So easy to make, even I can do it!


Fish Taco With Mango Salsa
Adapted from Simply Recipes

Ingredients:
1/2 lb of fish fillet
1 small heart of romaine lettuce
1 large shallot - chopped
1 medium ripe mango - diced
about 10 stalks of cilantro - roughly chopped
juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 avocado - diced
salt
pepper
oil
tortillas

Preparation:

Combine shallot, mango, cilantro and lime juice in a large bowl. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pat dry fish fillets and season with salt and pepper. Fry in a large pan with about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.

Assemble tacos with mango salsa, fish, avocados, and chopped lettuce.

2 comments:

  1. this recipe is so simple! I think I'll try making this soon! :D mangos & avocados are my favorite!

    you think it'll work well with a hard shell? or should i stick to a soft taco?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should try it with hard shells because its crunchiness would balance out the soft and squishy interiors.

    ReplyDelete