Saturday, November 6, 2010

Almond Sponge Cake



Hi Kids! I'm going to let you in on another Lam secret family recipe: almond sponge cake. This is my aunt's specialty, and I've been eating it since I can remember. It's one of my favoritest cakes in the whole entire world, and she always brings me an entire cake when I go home! I love my aunt (and her cake) to death! So I've decided to share the joy; I hope you like it!



Ingredients:
8 eggs, separated into yolk and whites
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar (my aunt uses white granulated sugar, but brown works just as fine too, just add a little more sugar since brown is slightly less sweet)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon almond extract (you can get creative later with other flavors if you want)

1. Use two separate mixing bowls, one for the yolks and one for the whites.
2. In your YOLK bowl, add oil, water, and sugar. Set aside.
3. In your WHITES bowl, add cream of tartar and almond extract.
4. Making sure your mixer attachments are clean, beat the egg white mixture until stiff.
5. Now mix your egg yolk mixture.
6. Slowly add in shifted flour while mixing.
7. Gently fold in (by hand, not mixer) your egg white mixture into your egg yolk mixture. Make sure you do not over mix, you want to make sure it's still light and airy.

Preheat the oven. Pour batter into a nonstick spring form angel food cake bunt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes. Depending on your oven, it could be a little more time, but if the top is a nice rich golden brown and your toothpick/knife/chopstick/etc comes out clean. You want to make sure that it's thoroughly cooked through because if it's not, your cake will fall and become dense.

If you are looking for another sponge cake recipe, the Chopping Block made one earlier this year. Her's used butter and corn starch and no almond extract, so it's different in case you are looking for some sponge cake variation!


The following photos are from my and Iva's first attempt at the cake.



Separate eggs, check!



Beat egg whites until stiff, check! Iva likes to check the consistency by flipping the bowl over, if your whites don't fall out, then you're good! If the mixture is still sliding around (or foamy/bubbly looking), then you need to beat it some more. Although, I was told you want to be sure to not over mix.



Our first time around, we just poured everything into the yolk mixture and mixed (as instructed by my 13 year old cousin). It works, but I just don't think it's absolutely the best way. We also used brown sugar, but the coloring throws me off, but it tastes the same otherwise. We also made another batch using butter instead of oil, but I didn't think it worked well. It made the cake taste heavy and buttery when the cake should feel light.



Iva made another batch but in cupcake form. If you choose to make them into little cupcakes, adjust the cooking time to about 30 minutes.

I've made at least four batches by myself within the last week. I know, I am ridiculous, and I ate all the cakes... by myself. It's so good, I couldn't help it.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, they look so delicious! mmmm...fluffy clouds in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i mailed out an entire cake to brendan today! i hope it doesn't get smooshed! :D They said that Thursday is veteran's day, so it might get there Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOO, this cake is amazing. I just ate some and the almond flavor is just too good. Then because it tasted so good, I ate more. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! you got it! i was afraid it still wasn't there yet! ><
    geez! stupid USPS. i mailed them last tuesday! it almost took a whole week to get to you!? :(

    ReplyDelete