Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pumpkin Bread



Do you know what time it is? It's time for my favorite season of the year: Fall! Do you know what that means? PUMPKIN! I was reading an RSS from Savory Sweet Life, and Alice had just made this pumpkin bread recipe from the Pioneer Woman. It looked so good, I had to make it too!



Ingredients
(I had tweaked the recipe a bit, so the list below is what I used and not what the recipe called for.)

3/4 cups Butter, Softened
1-1/2 cups Dark Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
4 whole Eggs
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
1-1/2 cup Butternut Squash Puree
3 cups All-purpose Flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1-1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh Ginger
1/4 teaspoons Grated Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoons Cardamom
3/4 cup plain yogurt

I went over to my friend, Iva's, house because she does excellent baking. I'm picking up tons of tricks from her!



We softened the butter (in the microwave!) and put it into the Kitchen Aid mixer to cream while we gathered the rest of our ingredients. Look at how pretty the creamed butter is!



We decided to go with all brown sugar instead of having granulated sugar too because... brown sugar is the bomb, duh.



After mixing the butter and sugar together, we then added the vanilla and the eggs (one at a time). After that's been beaten, we added and mixed our pumpkin and squash purees and the fresh ginger. The butternut squash puree was totally not planned! I only had half a can of pumpkin left from my previous recipe, so we had to go to Whole Foods to get another can, but lo and behold, there was a pumpkin shortage! So we went with the next best (lazy) thing: the butternut squash. Don't worry, it's just as delicious with the squash addition!



While I was beating the eggs, Iva got the dry mixture together: flour, baking powder,
baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Instead of using ground nutmeg, Iva had whole nutmegs that we grated, and it is seriously a WORLD of difference. I was never really a fan of nutmeg (because I always used pre-ground nutmeg), but the whole nutmeg is pretty awesome, and according to Iva, can have a longer shelf life than the ground nutmeg. But all this is trumped by the cardamon! Iva had whole cardamon that we ground up with her mortar and pestle! I didn't have any good photos of it, but I assure you that it was awesome!



After mixing the dry mixture to the wet mixture (in halves), we added our plain yogurt. We replaced the buttermilk with the plain yogurt because who has buttermilk just sitting in their fridge ever? Not us! And instead of using Elise's substitution (milk with lemon juice), Iva likes yogurt because it has a more viscous texture than milk.



After all that's been mixed, load up the pans! We have our regular loaf and a mini tester loaf! The tester loaf is a good idea because you can poke and prod it all you want (and then eat it while the real loaf is finishing up). Dude, we were supposed to meet some classmates to go to the Andy Warhol museum, but this loaf seriously took 90 minutes to finish, and we totally forgot to meet up with them. Opps! It's okay because this loaf is delicious.

We also made a cream cheese and mascarpone cheese frosting for it... but I over beat it so it started to get grainy and ugly, so I didn't want to put a photo of it up! Who would have known you can over beat it?

2 comments:

  1. That is obviously delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, she has so many gadgets! I'm going to make this.

    ReplyDelete