Sunday, October 24, 2010

Coconut Tuiles

20100905-IMG_8685

Coconut tuile sounds so fancy and difficult, but after making them I will have to say that these are the easiest cookies ever! In fact, if you need to appear fancy pants for some parties, just make some coconut tuiles.

I got the recipe from Simple Recipes. Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan girl if I didn't use Elise's recipe now, would I?


Like any good baker, you should preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. I wasn't a good baker and totally forgot to preheat the oven...every time.

20100901-DSCF4102
Step 1: Beat 1/2 stick of butter until it's all creamy.



20100901-DSCF4104
Step 2: Add in 1/2 cup of sugar and beat some more. Then pour in 2 egg whites and beat until smooth and shiny.



20100901-DSCF4108
Step 3: Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour, then 2 cups of sweetened shredded coconut.



20100901-DSCF4110
Step 4: Use a small spoon and scoop out the batter out on a baking sheet or on sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle on some more shredded coconuts.

Bake in your nicely preheated oven for 9 minutes. Take the cookies out when they're all brown and still soft. The correct method is to place the warm cookies on a rolling pin so that they're all nice and curved until completely cooled. I didn't follow the correct method because I was too lazy, so I ate them while warm.

20100905-IMG_8682

They're crazily addicting. Can't eat just one. Here's a crazy story to go with your cookies. When I was making them the first time around, I went to do the dishes and cleaned up while they baked. They were still kinda white when the time was up so I said to myself "I'll just leave them in for one more minute." One minute turned into five when I got too carry away with the dishes and all of cookies were burnt! Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

You can find the original recipe here. Below is the list of ingredients since I know you already memorized the steps from above.

1/2 stick of butter - soften
1/2 cups of sugar
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of sweetened shredded coconut
about 1 cup of extra coconut for sprinkling.

2 comments:

  1. Random question: Where did you get the sweetened shredded coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Thao: you can get a pack of about 2 cups at the Asian store for 79 cents or something ridiculously cheap like that. However, be warn that their coconut flakes tend to be really short. If you visit Raley's or Safeway, they also have it in the baking section for around $2-$3 and their flakes are longer and prettier looking. If you are pressed for money, get the smaller flakes to put in the batter and buy a small amount of the larger flakes to top it off.

    ReplyDelete