Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage



I asked the Chopping Block what I should cook, and she suggested a pumpkin recipe from Martha Stewart, except I thought that it wouldn't turn out very well. I think pumpkin has a pretty mild taste, and I didn't think it'd work with pasta. After some searching around, I found a Rachel Ray recipe, albeit I'm not a fan, but it looked more promising than Martha Stewart's.



Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic, cracked and chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves, cut into chiffonade, about 2 tablespoons
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock, canned or paper container
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup (3 turns around the pan) heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 pound penne rigate, cooked to al dente
Romano or Parmigiano, for grating



This is my new kitchen by the way! The counter space is even SMALLER than my last kitchen. What what?



Here's a photo of my ingredients. I had to go out and buy all these spices because I didn't bring any, and spices are so expensive! :(



I am showing you this photo because this onion was crazy! I couldn't stop crying! :''''''''''''''(



I started off with a whole pound of sausages except sometime between cutting them and cooking them, someone (cough cough) ate 1/3 of it! These are chicken sausages with apples and mangos that I got at Trader Joe's, and they are delicious!







So then you just dump everything in (see Rachel Ray's recipe link above).

Then you get this:



So... to be honest, I thought this recipe was not so good. :( I honestly would not make it again. The tastes just didn't mesh. The best part about it were the sausages, which I picked out and ate! The rest of it is sitting on my stove. :( Darn you, Rachel Ray!

3 comments:

  1. sausages with mangoesss? What madness! Maybe pumpkin is just not a good sauce base in general. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how it escaped me but I see that you have a large pot/pan now (a pat or a pon?)!!! That means you can make stew and eat for daysss. Also, what is that tablet-looking thing on your counter? Is that the new ipad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! yeah! I got this set of pots from Walmart for $18! It included a large pot, a medium sauce pan, a tiny sauce pan, and a small skillet. But no stews here because these pots and pans totally blow. They are almost dead. They are so thin, it's like using tin foil. For some reason, the smallest sauce pan has already rusted over! WHAT?!

    And yes! I stole Dave's iPad for my cooking because it's tiny and easier than using my phone to look at the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete