Thursday, September 23, 2010

Elise's Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Orange Pecan Cookies

cookies 2

If you haven't notice already, I have like a crazy girl crush on Elise at Simply Recipes. You can see that I made food from her blog all the time. As shown here and here and here, and here.

That's right, people, Elise herself commented on one of my posts. I was so stoked I almost peed my pants. Hahahha...not really, but really stoked nevertheless! But all of her recipes are so delicious and simple. Not only that, she's also from the greater Sacramento area, like me! Well, I'm not exactly from from Sacramento, but I lived there when I was 11 to 21 and still consider it home.

Okay, let me end the fan girl craze and move on to tell you about my adventure of making Elise's oatmeal raisin chocolate chip orange pecan cookies or as I like to call it my Out-of-everything cookies...Why? Well, you shall know...


The original recipe is to make 16 cookies, but for some reasons, I thought that I would make four times the original amount. Why? Who knows? I don't even know. It sounded like a good idea at the time.

orange zest
So to do that, I grated 4 oranges to get some zests. Man, getting zests from citrus fruits is so exhausting, I tell you!


butter
Then I got me 5 sticks of butter. That is 40 tablespoons of butter, if you must know.


mix butter
They had to be browned. Mine wasn't very brown, they were still super yellow. Elise has a nice how-to here. She said to look out for the "nutty" aroma, so I stood over the stove and kept smelling the butter. I did not smell anything nutty because my butter puddle was not browned. Then I poured that nice liquid fat to 24 tablespoons of non-melted butter. Stirred and stirred. Sigh.

Then add 2 cups of sugar. Wait, what? Oh no, where did all of my sugar go? Oh no! I was making peach pies and used all of my sugar! So I walked to Whole Foods and got me a box of baker's sugar. The cashier was too busy flirting with the next guy in line that she charged me for two boxes of sugar! What? This is not the first time something like this happened to me because someone was being distracted by "Hey beautiful! How are you doing, beautiful?" Now I have a negative disposition toward people being called "beautiful." Maybe I'm just bitter.


mix butter with orange zest
So umm... yes, add 2 cups of granulated sugar and the orange zest.


add sugar to butter
Then more sugar! 4 cups of dark brown sugar to be exact...and the miscellaneous flavor stuff like 4 teaspoons of salt and 8 teaspoons of vanilla. Did I tell you that I was also out of salt and had just enough? Oh, and that 8 teaspoons of vanilla also cleaned out my suppy of vanilla.


add eggs and yolks
Next were the 4 eggs and 4 egg yolks. That also cleaned out all of my egg supply.


whisk to mix
I whisked that stuff using the whisk attachment on my electric mixer. I know, I'm such a fancy pants! This is a quote from the original recipe "Whisk for thirty seconds and let stand for three minutes, repeat this process twice more until mixture is thick and shiny, this will enhance the flavor and texture of the cookies." I did exactly that, I'm usually not this good with following directions.


dry ingredients
Here's a picture of my dried ingredients which included 7 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Right after I took this picture, I had much fun mixing them all together. By the way, that also cleaned out my flour supply.



mix in flour
The dried ingredients and the wet ones got really intimated thanks to my electric mixer. Elise said "using a stand mixer." I only had a hand held one so I used my arm as the stand. It was pretty effective because I have baker muscles!


nuts raisins and chocolate
So for the fun stuff: 10 cups of rolled oatmeal (the entire giant can!), 3 cups of chocolate chips (it was all I had left), 2 cups of chopped walnuts (I had just enough!)...and 2 cups of raisins (good thing the bag was sold with just enough for 2 cups).


mix dough
They got mixed up real nice with my super strong arms! Argh.

...and then baked in 375 degrees (pre-heated) oven for 10 minutes to become these:

cookies

They were delicious!

As you can see, I called them the Out-of-everything cookies because they pretty much cleaned out everything in my pantry. I guess I shouldn't have been greedy and only made 16 cookies instead of 64. It's okay, I stand by my decision to make delicious cookies!

And of course, the original recipe is here if you don't want to make 64 cookies like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment