Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mini Meatball Sandwiches

mini meatball sandwich

So The Pioneer Woman said that these mini meatball sandwiches of hers only take 16 minutes to make. I love meatballs. I love fast food. I'm sold! Gone!

Let me tell you a secret, the Pioneer Woman must have magic or something because I most definitely spent more than 16 minutes on them. Either that or I'm slow. The latter seems more plausible, but I'm just going to go with the former.

Yeah, defrosting the beef took a while. Like the whole day!

ground beef

Then I had to chop 1.5 onions! 1.5 onions, I tell you! Good thing my sister was visiting so I got cool action shots like this.

chop onions

Getting 1 cup of panko from the cupboard didn't take that long...

add panko

Mincing a clove of garlic! Man, when will the food prep be over?

beef panko garlic

I gotta measure out 1/2 tsp of salt? Who has time for that?

salt

And pepper, too? Sheesh, can we go heat up the stove already?

pepper

Half a cup of milk, you say? You mean we're not done? Look, I took this picture myself while pouring the milk!

milk

I cheated, I added 1 more tsp of soy sauce because I'm on the edge of insanity! As long as I was cheating, I might as well some sprinkle of thyme. Hah! I'm out of control!

Ready to make mini tiny teeny meatballs?

beef balls

Yeah! I made 'em...like 25 of them.

For the next step, we got too excited about our avocado fries that we forgot to take a picture. What's the next step?

Oh, right. Heat up some, and by some I mean 2 tablespoons, of olive oil in a pan to saute the onions.

Push the onions around to make room for the meatballs to squeeze in. Make sure that the meatballs are NOT sitting on top of the onions, but next to them.

beef balls and onions

I did not have room for them in one pan but I was simply too lazy to make two batches; so I loaded them all into one pan! Supercookwoman is my name.

After the meatballs are browned on both sides (both? hah! all sides), pour in one jar of marinara sauce.

add marinara sauce

Let the whole thing simmer for 20 minutes. During this time, I went to do some dishes and the tomato sauce boiled and sprayed everywhere. Did I tell you that I simply hate how tomato sauces are really poor heat conductors? Them sauces like to boil at specific places and splatter cursed orange/red juices all over the stove while at some other areas in the sauce are still cold? It's like the sauce from hell, except it tastes really good.

When I was done crying/ranting about the damned sauce, I scooped the meatballs onto some mini buns. I used mini french rolls for this.

meat balls on buns

Draped the meatballs with some provolone.

provolone

Yeah, I have no skills with making the cheese slices look pretty. I don't do pretty.

Then we chowed with avocado fries!

mini meatball sandwich 2

The Pioneer Woman has a super cool printable version of the recipe here. But below is what I did.

Ingredients:

1.4 lbs of ground beef
1.5 small onions - chopped
3/4 cup of panko
1/2 cup of milk
1 clove of garlic - minced
1 tsp salt
1 tbs soy sauce
thyme
olive oil
ground black pepper
1 large jar of marinara sauce
provolone cheese
french rolls

Preparation:

In a large bowl mix the beef, panko, milk, garlic, salt, soy sauce, thyme, and black pepper.
Roll the meat mixture into mini ball shapes.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and saute the onions.
Brown the meatballs in between the bits of onions.

Pour in the whole jar of marinara sauce and let the whole thing simmer for 20 minutes.

Scoop the meatballs and sauce onto half of a roll. Lay provolone cheese on top of the meatballs. Top off with the other half of the roll.

Pick up sandwich with hands.
Open mouth.
Bring sandwich to mouth.
Chompz and devour!

Both thumbs up. Tasty and easy to make.

1 comment:

  1. Weird. I thought I left a comment here the other night, and now it's gone! So here is my comment again:

    Milk? MILK!? That is more insane than the soy sauce!

    ReplyDelete