Friday, July 2, 2010

Simply Pan Fried Scallops



If you ate my cooking, the probability of you dying of mercury poisoning or clogged arteries is probably five times higher than average. I love seafood, and I love bacon, but I especially like it when their powers are combined.


I recreated this recipe with one major twist: bacon grease.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
2 teaspoons olive oil (Replaced with some good ol' bacon grease)
1/2 cup dry white wine (Omitted/replaced with water)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Fresh parsley sprigs (optional) (I used dried, oh well)

So I read the reviews, and I guess there was a major problem with the flour becoming a big sticky mess due to the scallops' moisture. To remedy this, I let the scallops sit on a paper towel until they were "dry."



Next I mixed up the flour, marjoram, and salt into a bowl, and followed by dumping in my scallops. Holly from the video told me to use a ziplock bag, but I didn't. I wanted to get my money's worth out of my mixing bowls! It worked out fine for me (well... except then I had to wash the bowl and spoon).





After making sure they're evenly coated (and shaking off the excess flour), I put them on a plate.



Oh, I forgot to tell you that Gandalf is helping me out again. I guess besides too much mercury and bacon grease, my food might also contain a large amount of cat hair.

Speaking of bacon grease, here it is!



I fried two pieces of bacon and saved the bacon grease to fry my scallops in. While I was frying the scallops, I ate the bacon. :D





After all your scallops are fried (I had to do two batches), I placed them on the stove next to my pan while I make my balsamic reduction, which took forever! (I also had to fry up another two slices of bacon for the second batch of scallops, so I ate those (and did the dishes) while waiting for this sauce to reduce. Oh, I also ate a lot of the "naked" scallops while waiting. I had to take advantage of close up shots of the finish so you can't tell).



Here's a photo of the "naked" scallops.



Here is a photo of the "dressed" scallops!



I added more salt to top it off because we're also going to die from overdosing on salt too.

4 comments:

  1. Your scallops look so good! Mine always come out wimpy and sad. I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very yummy. I want to make them, but now I'm scared off by the time it takes to make the reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will actually try this out when I get me some scallops and bacon. And I enjoy your step-by-step pictures because I'm too lazy to actually read recipe instructions. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is/how do you nah make the balsamic reduction?

    ReplyDelete