Thursday, May 13, 2010

Juicy Sirloin Steaks

steaks

After reading the direction on how to make super tender and juicy steaks from "cheap' steaks from Jaden Hair on Steamy Kitchen, I knew I must try it. Who knew that making tasty steaks from on-sale meat was so easy? I'd like to apologize to my vegetarian friends that you have to go through yet another meaty post. But for all of you carnivores out there, you will not have to spend a fortune for a hunk of semi raw meat again!


I am using two chunks of sirloin beef about 4"x 3" x 1.5". The pieces are pretty lean, not that much fat in it. I would recommend that you get the fattiest piece of meat if you're into that kind of thing.

salt steaks

Like Jaden said, I started by GENEROUSLY salt the steaks. I used coarse sea salt. Just so you know, last time, I was too generous with the salt so then the steaks ended up being too salty. This time, I used about 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt on each side of the steaks.

season steaks

Then season them steaks with rosemary, thymes, etc. Cover and let sit for 1 hour. Please don't leave it sit for longer than that because it'll end up being too dry and too salty. NOT what we want!

melt butter

After 1 hour, rinse and pat dry the steaks. Season again with some ground black pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet. By the way, I'm only doing this because I do not have a grill. If you have a grill, use it!

fry steaks

Cook the steak on medium high heat for 4 minutes. Do not, and I repeat, do not attempt to disturb the steaks while they're sitting there. Just leave them be. I know it's hard to to resist flipping it over to check.

flip steaks

After 4 minutes, flip them over and cook for 4 more minutes on the other side.

steaks 2

That's it! Serve with whatever side you feel like eating that day. I had mine with roasted carrots and potatoes.

Day 69 Tuesday 4/20/2010

If you do not want yours this crazy pink, please refer to this method borrowed from Elise of checking the doneness of the steaks and cook accordingly.

A few other notes:
1. Let the steaks sit for about 15 minutes to rest so the juices to move back into the meat.
2. Steak cook with butter is like heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment