Saturday, April 3, 2010

Honey Walnut Prawns



I was talking to The Chopping Block the other day, and somehow she challenged me to make Honey Walnut Prawns. So I am seeing her challenge! ... But note that I also tagged this as a "misadventure."


This was the first recipe that popped up when I searched for it, so I used it.

Ingredients:
1 lb of large or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup walnuts
5 cups water
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup egg whites
2 Tbs honey
3 Tbs mayonnaise
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 Tbs condensed milk

First, I threw my walnuts on a cookie sheet and broiled it for 15 minutes (turning them once) so they would be nice and toasty. When I took them out, I drizzled a little bit of honey on them and set them aside. I think in most restaurants they just stir fry the walnuts in their wok, but my stove doesn't get hot enough to do that.



Next, I mixed my cornstarch with my egg whites. Quite frankly, I think the ratio is a little wrong. I think that's too much egg whites. :( I also accidentally got some egg yolk in there because I broke the yolk when I was breaking the egg.



I mixed it up and added my shrimp.



Okay, okay. I know I am supposed to deep fry this, but I ran out of vegetable oil, and I only have olive oil. No way am I going to use 3 cups of olive oil to fry my shrimps. What? Do I look like I'm made of money? That's right, I don't. So I ended up spraying my pan with generic brand olive oil spray and simply dumping them in (in two batches).



They definitely came out the wrong texture. They were soggy instead of nice and crispy. :''''''''''(



I mixed the honey, mayonaise, lemon juice, and condensed milk together. In my opinion one tablespoon lemon juice was a little too much, and hijacks all the flavor. I would recommend toning it down to maybe 1 teaspoon or half a tablespoon at most. Also, did I mention that I love sweeten condensed milk? I just to put this in just about everything when I was a kid.

Now you toss your walnuts and shrimp into this mayonaise mix, and then serve!



I mean, it wasn't the best, but we still ate it. OH WELL. A misadventure is better than no adventure.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good!! It looks like Coconut Shrimp, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I make it super un-healthy... With the deep fried crunchy goodness... Yours is more pan fried so it's less fattening. I also use rice vinegar instead of lemon juice, so again, it's less healthy.

    ReplyDelete