Saturday, April 24, 2010

Beef Stew (Cooking With Cats)



Cats are delicious when stewed, but should be left to professionals.


JUST KIDDING! It's because my kitties helped me with my beef stew. If the FDA or health inspector ever came into my kitchen, I'll be history! Everything I make has cat hair in it, but I like to think of it more as "added fiber" to my diet. :)

So I've never made beef stew before! I just know that my mommy makes delicious beef stew, and once in awhile, I really want some!

Ingredients:

- 1.5 pounds of stew
- 1 medium size potato
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 house tomato
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (I actually forgot to add my mushrooms. Oops!)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon dried bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 Vegetable bullion
- 10 cups of water (divided)
- Lots of salt & pepper



Here is Gandalf helping me unload the groceries. (Nur found Gandalf in her work yard, and I stole him! He was only 9 days old!)



Here is Gandalf helping me peel potatoes while peeing inside my sweatshirt! O_O



Here are all your ingredients prepped, and a Lucy waiting for the stew. "Is it done yet?"

So now you want to brown your beef. You don't have to cook it through, just to brown it to lock the moisture in. In a lot of recipes online, it told you to flour it and brown it in butter. Well... I'm out of flour, so I didn't. I just browned it in some olive oil along with my garlic. I had to brown it in two batches.



Once the meat is done browning, I added four cups of water and my cube of vegetable bullion. I used vegetable bullion because I was out of beef stock and chicken bullion. Also add your seasonings (re: bay leaf, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.)



I started boiling this at 9:30PM and I let it boil until 12:30AM. ON A WEEK NIGHT NO LESS. I was afraid that I was going to burn in like in the movie "Julie & Julia." I know I'm lame. So after 1.5 hour, I added four more cups of water. Then after 2.5 hours, I added the remaining two cups. After you've been stewing the meat for three hours, add in all your vegetables.



Let this stew for another 30 minutes (or 1AM!). If you like your vegetables softer, you can boil it longer, but I think if you boiled it any longer, it'll turn into mush.

Then when it's one in the morning, you can finally let your cats have their stew! (Just kidding, they didn't have any).





This is in fact the most unflattering photo of my tabby cat ever. She's really not that fat!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize it takes that long to make stew.

    ReplyDelete