Monday, April 19, 2010

Basil & Parsley Pesto



So I was over at Simply Recipes and saw Elise's friend (Hank's) post on a ramp pesto. Since I had nothing better to do (and the fact that it looked delicious), I decided to make it. Sadly, I couldn't find any ramps! So I just ended up making a simple pesto. Also, if you would notice, I went over to my mom's house, and OMG! She has a food processor! :D




Ingredients:

- bunch of basil (roughly 1 cup)
- bunch of parsley (roughly 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 3 cloves of garlic*
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese**
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- lots of salt
- pepper***

* I used FOUR cloves, and one of them was a gigantic clove of garlic. What can I say? Garlic is like super awesome.
** Since I was at my mom's house, I found a nice block of Asiago cheese, which is like older funkier parmesan. Hey, so what if she did have parm? Someone's gotta eat her Asiago, right?
*** Shoot man, she had whole peppercorns that you crack!? WHAT!? How fancy, right?

So before you start doing anything, start toasting your walnuts and garlic. Make sure your garlic is unpeeled to prevent burning or something like that. I just tossed them onto the same pan. No biggy. They'll have to mingle. (Did you notice how clean her stove is? Seriously, what? Moms have super powers or something.)



While that stuff is toasting/roasting, wash your herbs and grate your cheese.



After your walnuts get toasty (about 5-7 minutes), turn off the heat (leave the garlic cloves in), and take out the walnuts. Pulse your walnuts in your (mom's) handy dandy food processor!



Then I added my herbs in with the processed walnuts until it came out to this texture:



Then I put in the garlic and my pulsed herb mixture and pulsed some more. Then I added in my cheese, salt, and pepper and pulsed some more. Then slowly added in my olive oil... and pulsed some more. Maybe I over did the pulsing, but man! It felt good to have a food processor. Then you're done! All you have to do now is eat it before your mom does!



I didn't expect to make so much pesto, but it was delicious! I ate it with a spoon, though I have some left in my fridge for later. :)

(Did you guys notice how much nicer photos come out when you have natural sunlight? But natural sunlight is hard to come by in my tiny little San Francisco apartment tucked behind some dark ally where homeless men pee all night. HAH! Just kidding! They do that in the day time too. :D)

2 comments:

  1. Dude, this is awesome! How about you give me a jar of those for 50 cents?
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can even give you some... FOR FREE!

    ReplyDelete