Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lamb Curry



First off, I want to apologize to any Indian readers here (ahem Hiten) for butchering your food. This is the first time I've ever made an Indian dish (besides microwaving Trader Joe's awesome frozen Tikka Masala dishes). I went online and googled "indian lamb curry recipes" and got a lot of varying results, so in the end, I just kind of made threw whatever I wanted to in my Lamb Curry dish, which I think ended up pretty nicely.


Ingredients:
1/3 cup peas
1/3 cup mashed up chick peas
juice of 1/2 a lime*
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoon tomato puree (or you can use fresh tomatoes)
giant handful of cilantro leaves, minced to about 1-2 tablespoons
2 small sweet potatoes, diced
1/4 onion, sliced
3/4 cup vegetable stock (because I just so happen to run out of chicken stock)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 pound lamb, cubed
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt)
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon garam masala powder
1/2 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
option dash of cayenne pepper (which I omitted because I am a wuss)



I prepped my food the night before because I get home pretty late, and I wanted to save the 10 or 15 minutes in prep time. I bought a can of garbonzo beans and mashed 1/3 cup of it with a fork, which if you believe, is harder than I thought! I also bought these tiny little tupperware containers, which is perfect for storing food prep items! I decided to use tomato puree instead of fresh tomatoes because I just so happened to have some left in my fridge, so why not!



Okay, so it's time to cook it! I put in my cubed potatoes and the vegetable broth and covered it to let it cook. Did you know that sweet potatoes take way longer to cook than regular starchy potatoes? Well, yes! They do! So I would recommend you to microwave your potatoes a little bit first to speed up the cooking time. When the potatoes are starting to get tender, add in your onions until they start to get a little tender. Now add your tomato paste, ginger, lime juice, and cilantro.



After that's been mixed well, add in your milk, peas, and mashed beans. Stir!



Now drop in your lamb, yogurt, and the rest of the spices. Well, actually, I'm not quite sure if now is a good time to add in your yogurt, but I wanted to add everything in to make sure that my spices were good. Then again, I guess I could have readjusted it at the end. Oh well. The yogurt became a little separated and grainy, so I think you should probably add the yogurt at the end? Well, anyways, now you just let your curry stew until your potatoes are very tender and your lamb is cooked to however you like it. Sorry! I forgot how long I left it on medium heat, but I took out a cube of lamb and tested it when it was medium (with a little pink in the middle), and that's when I took mine out.



Now it's time for the NOMS!!! I ate mine with some rice (which I added some mint & lime juice to) and some garlic naan. :)


*I recently became a Costco member and went on a crazy shopping spree and ended up with a giant 10 pound bag of limes, so I'm pretty much going to add lime juice into everything I'm going to cook -- regardless of whether or not it belongs!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! As for the yogurt (or coconut milk, which is what I typically use for malay curry), I usually add it in during the last 15-30 minutes of cooking to prevent that grainy taste. Also, another thing you can do is to bring the yogurt to temparature by adding some curry into it, before introduce it into the pot. That should solve the separation problem!

    PS: Hiten and I stock tons of Trader Joes's Paneer Tikka Masala in our fridge :D. Yay TJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom usually adds the coconut milk last.

    Did you get the cilantro at Costco, too? That's why we are to use one GIANT handful of cilantro?

    ReplyDelete