Sunday, March 7, 2010

Elise's Carrot Apple Cupcakes

Carrot apple cupcakes

Helen made me red velvet cupcakes and that started a whole series of cupcake cravings. Do you know how much is it for a cupcake? $3.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three bucks for a cupcake? What a giant rip off, right? Right. So, I'm making my own cupcakes. I've never had carrot cake before, so what better way to experience the carrot cake by making my own carrot cupcakes.

I found Elise Bauer's apple carrot cupcake recipe on Simple Recipes because I had some apples that needed to be used up also.

So I got my 3 medium carrots and 2 granny smith apples.

Carrot apple cupcake - three carrots

I got to peeling and grating the carrots and apples. Do you know how hard it is to grate carrots? It took forever for me to grate 1.5 carrots. At the end, I cheated by chopping up the carrots and apples and threw them in my mini chopper. It was good enough and a lot faster. Also, I didn't have to worry about grating my own fingers in the process.

Apples and carrots were what I think of the "wet" ingredients because they were super juicy. As for the dry ingredients of 2 cups of flour, 1.5 cups of sugar (I even got baker sugar for this one), 1.5 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp ground clove (reminds me of the dentist office), 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon (yumm), 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 2 tsp cocoa powder (I used the slightly sweetened kind), 1/8 tsp of ground black pepper, and 1/4 tsp of salt were all added into one giant bowl.

Carrot apple cupcake - flour and spices

They got to know each other really well because I spent a good 5 minutes just mixing them around to make sure that there weren't any lumps of snobby cocoa powder hanging just by themselves.

Then I beat 4 large eggs with my trusty pair of chopsticks. Yes, chopsticks can be used to beat eggs, no need for a fancy whisk (i.e. another kitchen utensil to keep track of and wash). The eggs and a cup of olive oil were added to the dry ingredients. Elise's recipe called to stir in the eggs and oil but I cheated and I used an electric mixer to give it a slight beating. I didn't trust myself to full incorporated all of the ingredients.

Carrot apple cupcake - crushed walnuts

For the walnut portion, I was too lazy to wash and dry my mini chopper to chop the walnuts. So, I put them all inside and zip lock bag and smash the hell out of them with my rolling pin. It worked out pretty well. One of cup smashed up walnut was added to the cake mixture. Yay!

All that was left was to spoon the mixture into the cupcake pan (or is it muffin pan?) lined with cupcake paper (liner?) and baked in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Here they are after they're done cooling down in my skillet. I don't have a cooling rack. :(

Carrot apple cupcake - cool cupcakes

Closer look at the texture.

Carrot apple cupcake - cupcake texture

For my cream cheese frosting, I used 8 ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 2 cups of powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar, whatever), and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract. I first beat the cream cheese until it was a bit soften, then gradually added the powdered sugar. Originally, I was going to use just cream cheese and sugar, but it was too thick, so I decided to add the heavy cream to thin it a little without making it too soft.

Carrot apple cupcake - cream cheese frosting

The frosting came out pretty well, not too sweet, not too thick and not too runny. Good stuff.

Day 22 Monday 3/1/2010

The results were satisfactory because my sister said it was good, my dad said it was good, Helen said it was good, even my mom who doesn't eat cake snuck one into her tummy.

1 comment: