Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Gordon Ramsay's Fish Cakes



For those of you who don't know this, I am a huge fan of Gordon Ramsay. Why? Why not? The guy has enough angst to shame a teenager. Well of course, his recipes are also amazingly simple! Well, at least in his current books. I heard his older cookbooks are actually pretty complex and difficult. I found this fish cake recipe on-line from his show "The F Word," which I have to admit, I've only watched a couple of times while I was flying on Virgin America, and yes, that was a shameless plug for my favorite airline.


Here is the recipe, but I'll list the ingredients I used here. You can also find the video of Gordon Ramsay making this here too.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound Mahi Mahi
1/2 large prawns, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 finely grated zest of 1 lime
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 medium egg
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp chopped green onion
Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying



I decided that I didn't want to put green beans in my fish cakes because it just seemed a little TOO off-beat and creative for me. Instead, I replaced it with some green onions. I also wished that I followed Gordon Ramsay's wording of "finely grated zest" of lime because I didn't have a grater and thought I could cut the lime peel thin (and small) enough, but I didn't! D: You can see how big my chucks are at the top center in the photo above.



I also still don't have a food processor, so I chopped all the shrimp and fish by hand, but I thought it was okay because Gordon Ramsay warned not to over process the meat so you can retain some of the seafoods' texture. AH! I listened to this too well and my chucks were too big! The second time I made this I put everything in a blender... and made it into a fish paste and over did it! :O



The fish cakes came out too watery as you can see in the photo. This is because I decided to use the Mahi Mahi that I had in my freezer, and I defrosted it in a bath of water, and I guess I didn't dry it enough. The second time around, I made sure to dry out all the ingredients so that it wasn't so wet.





They took longer than I expected to cook. The first time I fried them for maybe 2 minutes on each side and they were still a little raw when I took them out. The next batch I did, I cooked them a little longer, and they turned into rubber! So the next time, I made them a little thinner and cooked them for two minutes, and they turned out okay. :)



Draining the oil off made me feel less like a fatty.



Also, instead of making the cucumber relish dipping sauce Ramsay recommends (because I was too lazy to go to the store to get cucumbers), I made a minty lime sauce. I added the juice of one lime, a big bunch of finely chopped/minced mint leaves & cilantro leaves, a little bit of fish sauce, a pinch of sugar, and Saracha hot sauce to taste. I thought it turned out to be a very nice compliment to the fish cakes. I am a genius!

5 comments:

  1. I love fish cakes! Now I know how to make them.
    If Gordon Ramsay even look at me, I'd pee in my pants.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. These even have shrimp in them! When I cooked a little test piece to make sure it tasted fine, it tasted like it has WAY too much red curry (very spicy), and I was sad. But when I finished cooking the batch, it actually was not all that spicy, and I couldn't really taste the red curry! D: I forgot to mention that in my post, so that's a secret for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so everyone knows, I made these fish cakes last night and they were SUPERB! It's so easy to make, you'd be embarrassed about how good they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so I found out that Thai fish cakes are supposed to have green beans! How weird, right??!

    ReplyDelete
  5. for some reason the link to the recipe in the post no longer works. Here's the new one:
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/gordon-s-fishcakes-with-cucumber-relish-recipe

    ReplyDelete