Thursday, February 4, 2010

Squid Adobo

squid adobo 2

At the end of last year, I flew to Singapore with my little sister to meet up with my cousin who was going to school there. We flew Philippines Airline and they fed us a lot of adobo. It was either chicken or pork adobo and I must say, the pork adobo is my favorite. I know what you're thinking: airplane food, bleh! It's not "bleh" if it got me curious enough to note that I need to recreate the dish.

After "researching" several different adobo recipes, I noticed the following:

1. Very easy (i.e. little ingredients, no complicated steps)
2. There are really no universal right way to make it. Everyone makes it a little bit different with the steps switched around.

So, the lesson learned is that maybe I should try to make it my own way. In the end, this experiment turned into something completely different. Because this is an experiment, I will make chicken and pork adobo for future posts. But for now, let's start with the squids.

adobo raw squids

Technically, I was supposed to get my own squids and clean it and save the ink, etc. However, I was a lazy butt so I asked my mom to buy me some pre-cleaned and pre-cut squids. They even scored pretty patterns into it so the squids are all nice and curly. I used about 1/2 lb for the adobo.

Adobo onion and garlic

Squid adobo, starring onion and garlics. The onion had been sitting there for awhile so I better use it soon. See the sprout peeking out? A whole onion was just too much, so I used half. the garlics were minced because garlics are only good when bruised and broken.

adobo half onion

Wow, look at the little sprout of life. Too bad I was going to eat it anyway. Turn the half onion with flat face down and slice slice.

adobo sliced onion

adobo chopped onion

The stove was then turned on to heat the pan. When the pan was hot hot hot, I poured in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Yumm.

adobo olive oil

Use that nice hot olive oil to sautee the onions until they're translucent.

adobo sautee onion

I really hate taking pictures of the food while they're in the pan because 1)I'm too chicken to stick my camera close to the pan and 2)the steam always get the best of me and everything comes out blurry. Not only that, I'm too short to even take a good shot. Fine, enough complaining, it was time for the garlic to join the steaming party.

adobo sautee onion and garlics

Before I threw in the cheater squids, I added about 1 teaspoon of corn starch and stirred that around. Then the cheater squids. Cook them all for about 1 minute. No more, please, we do not want to overcook the squids because they'll become super rubbery and everyone will hate you.

adobo squid in pan

Then we add a can of diced tomatoes. I was supposed to use 2 tomatoes but they do not sell medium size tomatoes by itself. Either they're in this huge package of about 5 or 6 which will be a waste for me because I would not be able to finish it, or they are gigantic tomatoes. Please deal with my canned dice tomatoes with garlic because you can never have too much garlics.

adobo squid and tomatoes

See what I mean about blurry pot photos? Stir that tomato mess around for a bit.

adobo soy sauce vinegar and pepper

Then I added the ground pepper (it would be nice if I have peppercorn and a bay leaf or two), 3 tablespoon of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. To make them happy, I stirred them all with my handy pair of chopsticks and let the pot stew on about 3 minutes.

adobo steamed rice

If you are super efficient, you should have the rice started cooking before you chop the onions. By the time the squids and everything are stewing, the rice should be done. I was very efficient because that was exactly what I did. I scooped the rice out into bowls all ready to receive the adobo.

Laddle adobo over the rice, throw on some more pepper and eat!

squid adobo

I feel like such a cheater because this recipe was so easy to make. Why isn't everyone making adobo, yo?

Now for the easy condensed version:

Squid Adobo
(Printable recipe)

Ingredients:

1/2 lb of squids (cleaned and cut into bite size pieces)
2 diced tomatoes or one 8oz. can of diced tomatoes
1/2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 tablespoons of vinegar
1 teaspoon of corn starch
olive oil
pepper
1 or 2 bay leaves (optional)

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a pan and sautee onions and garlic.
Add corn starch.
Add squids, cook for about 1 minute
Add diced tomatoes, pepper, and bay leaves.
Pour in soy sauce and vinegar.
Let stew for about 3 minutes.
Serve over steamed white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment