Saturday, February 20, 2010

Moussaka



Moussaka is kind of like a lamb & eggplant casserole, or so that's how I think of it. Recently I went to Kokkari and tried their Moussaka. I loved it so much I decided to come home and make my own. Of course, theirs is still like a billion times better than mine.


This is the recipe that I modified.

Ingredients for the Meat:
1/2 medium eggplant (slice into 1/8" thick pieces)
1/2 medium sweet potato (slice into 1/8" thick pieces)
1/3 cup chicken broth
olive oil to coat pans
1/3 onion, sliced
3/4 pound ground lamb
1 ripe tomato, seeded, diced
2 tbs tomato puree
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of sugar

Ingredients for the Sauce:
1/2 cups milk
1 tsp butter
1 eggs
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp flour
feta cheese

First, prep all your food. I hate food prepping. It's like the most boring and tidiest thing to do. If I had an enemy, I would make them prep food for eternity. Now that is suffering.

Cook your potatoes with your chicken broth and a sprinkle of cinnamon until they are cooked, which should be relatively fast since they're in such thin slices.



Now cook your eggplants (in batches if necessary). Actually, before I cooked the eggplant, I had to "sweat" it (part of the food prep process). For your casserole to not be watery, you'll have to make sure all the liquids in your vegetables get drained out. To sweat your eggplants, sprinkle some salt on them and place them on a paper towel. Flip them over in about 30 minutes and maybe switch out your paper towel. Eggplants have super lots of water! Crazy!



I wasn't able to find ground lamb, so I bought a lamb steak and cubed it.



Now saute your garlic and onions until they're soft. Also start preheating your oven to 375 degrees.



Add in your meat.



Since I used steak meat, you don't want to overcook your meat! Just make sure it's browned. See, my meat is still super pink.



Add all your seasonings, the diced tomatoes, and the tomato puree.



While I was making my meat and stuff, I was also making my sauce. I just mixed everything (except for the feta cheese) into a pot and heated it up (while stirring constantly), and it came out fine. :)



Now it's time to assemble your Moussaka. Layer your baking dish with the eggplants, potatoes, and meat in any fashion you like. Then top with the sauce. I topped it off with some feta cheese.



Bake your Moussaka for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, make some Tzatziki (Greek yogurt sauce). Note that you should strain your yogurt 2 hours before hand, so include the straining in your food prepping schedule. I used Kalyn's recipe, and it was delicious. Just like Kokkari's. I'll serve my Tzatziki with some warm flatbread.



Now it's time to take your Moussaka out of the oven and eat it!



NOM NOM NOM!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so good and I LOVE lambs. Can I come over for dinnah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should totally come over and make ME dinner!! I'll pick a few things out that you should made me, and then i'll have the supplies ready. Then you can pick the date that you want to stop by and make me my food!

    ReplyDelete