Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thai Pad See Ew



Pad See Ew is one of my favorite Thai dishes. Move aside Pad Thai, you're over-rated! This is one of my more complicated dishes, with exotic ingredients that you will have to venture into an Asian supermarket for. Epps! Scary!


To be honest, I rarely measure anything out. Yes, I have two different (and complete) sets of measuring spoons, but I never use them because I am THAT lazy. So take this ingredient list with a grain of salt, and adjust as you like.

Ingredients:

1 tbs garlic
1 tbs oyster sauce
1/2 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar
1/2 tbs hoisin sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/8 cup sugar (maybe less)
15 shrimps
1 package of flat rice noodles
3 eggs
small bunch of Chinese broccoli




Okay! Let's get on with the show. First up is the Chinese broccoli. Personally, I usually don't add this because vegetables are icky, especially this one. It has a subtle bitterness to it, but I thought I should do it right this time and include it. I got this bunch for 24 cents (in Chinatown)!!! This is because it's old (see the yellow blossoming flowers). Anyways, since I don't really care for vegetable stocks, I just threw them out, but generally, you keep them in. (Oh, you wash them first before you cut them! Who knows what's on them!)



Next up, mix the eggs. Scramble them and add in a little bit of sugar and soy sauce so it has a nice taste to it. Just a splash! Don't over do it!



Now this is the hard part. Usually at the supermarket, I can find the pre-cut ones, labeled "chow fun," but today, this was all I found. It's okay, we can make this work. I got the rice noodle sheets, so I had to cut them into 1/2" - 1" strips. Then you separate them and put it in a bowl. You wouldn't believe how much oil these rice noodles are packaged in!





Phew, the hard part is over with! Spray your wok (or I used a pot) with cooking oil add the sesame oil. Put in your garlic until it browns a little. Now put in all your rice noodles, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and sugar. Stir/cook the noodles until they are soft (and hot).



Take out the noodles, and place them in the bowl (that they were in previously). Using the same pot, stir in the Chinese broccoli (and some extra minced garlic too). When it wilts, add in your shrimp (and some salt). Shrimp cooks in a jiffy, and you don't want to overcook them. When the shrimp turns color completely (maybe a minute?), then take all of the pot's contents out and set it aside.





In the same pot (oiled), add in your eggs and scramble them!



After your eggs are done and scrambled, pour your noodles, broccoli, and shrimp into the pot, and combine all ingredients.



Now it's time for the noms! NOM NOM NOM!!


2 comments:

  1. OMG, so awesome! Shame on you for being such a veggie hater! I did not know that pad see ew needs to have Chinese broccoli. So, do you think that if I substitute Chinese broccoli with spinach, would it end up the same? I mean, I would have to add the spinach after the shrimps (or at the same time as the shrimps) since spinach cooks really fast.

    The super oil saturated noodles explain why whenever you order beef chow fun dried, it always come out super oily still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's best to leave out the vegetables! :D I think whatever greens you like to add should be fine. The Chinese broccoli has a similar taste, but slightly different texture. The Chinese broccoli adds a nice "crunch" even when they are welted because of the stem. So with spinach, you'll get a "wiltier" texture.

    ReplyDelete