Thursday, December 3, 2009

Simple Chicken Salad



So I don't know about you, but most place's chicken salad is very goopy and tastes only like mayonnaise - or perhaps I should hang out at better delis. Today I decided to do my own (lighter) take on the very simple chicken salad.




Ingredients:
2 raw chicken breasts, medium
1/3 medium red onion
1 cup grapes
2 tsp lemon juice, separated
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbs mayonnaise (or substitute)
1/4 tsp mustard (optional)

First season the raw breasts with salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp lemon juice.


Oil your skillet and heat it up nice and hot on high heat (until your oil turns slightly brown). Dump the chicken breasts in and sear each side; this helps lock in the moisture and keep your chicken juicy. Cook each side for three minutes on medium heat.


Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest.


Meanwhile, start dicing your onions and grapes. Personally, I like my chicken salad with lots of grapes. It's like the best part of the chicken salad! You can also replace the onion with celery, sliced almonds, or even apples (though I think that is a little redundant since the grapes already provide that subtle sweetness in this recipe).


Now it's time to shred your chicken! I am using my secret shredding technique (re: two forks). Be careful not to shred the chicken too much or else it turns into mush. It should come out still looking like chicken.


Lastly, add all your ingredients into a bowl and mix mix mix! My feelings on the mustard is mixed because it kind of takes away from the simple salt/pepper/lemon flavor, so if you do add this, make sure to go really easy on it. I also just added a few lemon slices in there to spice things up.


And you're finished! It should have only taken 15 minutes, including prepping time! I served it on a nice and toasty whole grain wheat bread from Panera because it has a nice crispy edge (when toasted) that I feel really adds to the texture. :)


2 comments:

  1. "Awesome! Nice touch with the grapes, you celery-hater. :D"

    That was what I commented at exactly 6:11 am this morning. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples chuncks are much better than grapes. They add some crispy chunch with out the water.

    ReplyDelete