Saturday, December 12, 2009

Molasses Cookies



It has been rainy, windy, chilly, and everything winter-y lately. The chipotle shrimps and Mexican rice are going need some help to combat this cold dampness. In addition, my friend said that we don't have any dessert on this blog. So, this one is for you, Nur, something sweet rather than savory.

I went to Elise's Simply Recipes for something sweet to make and found molasses spice cookies recipe. Awesome!



Baking always scares me. First of all, the list of ingredients always seem to go on forever with teaspoons and tablespoons and cups and sticks, etc. What also scares me is that I have to get things exactly right.



To start off, I measured 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour. That pretty much used up all of the flour I had left in the pantry. Doh'nt!



Time to take out your trusty measuring spoons or what not and add the following to the flour bowl:

1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of baking soda

Mix well and set aside. Now, grab another bowl for 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter. Make sure that the butter is soften or else you'll have a hard time whipping it up. Elise said to beat the butter for 2 minutes, but I forgot to time it. I think I beat the butter until it's all fluffy and pretty.



Then, it's time to add in 1/2 cup of packed dark brown sugar to the butter and beat it some more. Phew, I'm so glad I have an electric mixer or else these cookies will only end in disasters.



Not sweet enough? Add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. You know, the stuff that you put in your coffee. Beat it some more.



It's supposed to be all light and fluffy and whipped creamy in texture. Once it reach that light and airy state, add in one large egg.



And to that, I also added 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract. I only had the powdered kind, but you can also use the liquid kind.



...and 1/3 cup of molasses.



...and now I know the meaning of "thick as molasses." Then I beat and beat until they were all mixed evenly...which did not take long as all.



I thought the next step is the hardest one because I have to beat in the dry ingredients (flour, ginger, cinnamon, etc.) with this thick and gooey butter and molasses deal.



My fear was that the flour is going to start flying everywhere and hours later will be spent in cleaning up the counters, floor and ceiling. Because I was super lazy and did not care much for spending hours cleaning up, I draped a piece of paper towel over the bowl and beat the mixture on low. Flying flour averted! Boy, I deserved some cookies.

When everything was well mixed and incorporated, get another bowl and pour in 1/3 cup of granulated sugar. I dipped my fingers into the bowl of sugar to lightly coat them before diving into the cookie dough. The dough was super sticky so I had to work really fast to take a small chunk each time, rolled it in the sugar to coat it.



The ball then got flattened and laid on a sheet of baking sheet. Yay, time to get back into making more dough balls. Then it was time to put the all into the oven at 375 degrees F and bake for 11 minutes. Yummssss.... Be sure not to overcook them. If you do, the cookies will be rock hard after 2 hours. Believe me, I speak from experience.



For recipes, please visit Simply Recipes.

Enjoy your winter with these warm treats.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Looks delicious. I love molasses cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad she ate it all! so none for you nur!

    ReplyDelete