Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chipotle Shrimps and Mexican Rice



They lied about global warming because it's freaking cold! Why is it that San Francisco temperature dips down into the 30's?!? The thirties!!! I decided to make something spicy and south of the border to help me cope with this cold front. What says spicy and warm better than some chipotle shrimps and Mexican rice?

I like saying the word "chipotle." Chip - po - teh - lai. Sounds warm already.

Let's start by deveining some shrimps. I hate deveining shrimps. It's tedious and messy work. When I was little, my job was to devein shrimps and I said to myself, I said: "Oh man, when I grow up, I'm going to invent a deveining machine!" My mom then told me: "Why don't you just make a lot of money and hire someone to devein the shrimps for you?" Well, here I am, all grown up and still have to devein my own shrimps. What is wrong with this picture? As it turned out, it only took me 5 minutes.



Then I frantically search the pantry for a can of chipotle peppers in abodo sauce. Chopping up one chipotle pepper wasn't so bad. I didn't need anyone to do that for me.



Marinating the shrimps wasn't hard either. I can do that myself. Just pull out a bowl, dump in the one chopped pepper, 2 teaspoons of abodo sauce (scooped from the can), 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cummin.



Since I am Vietnamese and I am such a cowgirl, I threw in 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Who cares that fish sauce is not from south of the border? Technically, Vietnamese fish sauce is south of the border if you live in China! Mix everything well with the shrimps and let them sit for a while. The shrimps were all: "Tra la la"



While the shrimps are tra-la-la-ing, I made Mexican rice. So 1/4 of a large onion was chopped to heck.



Not only that, I also smashed and chopped 2 cloves of garlic. The poor garlic always getting abused by me. But really, I love garlics, it's kinda like an abusive loving relationship between garlics and I. Edward Cullen is nothing to me because I'd always choose garlics. TEAM GARLICS!

Time to heat up about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan. The onions were called to join the hot hot oil and cook for about 3 minutes.



Because this meal would have to feed LeTran and one other fattie, I used 1.5 cups of long grain white rice. Notice that the cup in the picture is the cup that usually comes with a rice cooker which is a bit less than your normal cup.



"How are we doing, rice? How about you join the onions in the pan?"



I asked the garlics if they want to join the rice and onions, too, and they said "Yes, m'love!"

It was then time to go frantically search for a can of diced tomatoes to add in the mix. Next, it was time to add 1.5 cups of low sodium chicken broth into the pot. I used the broth I made because I'm fancy pants.



To make things interesting, I added 1/2 teaspoon of cummin and sprinkled on some cayenne peppers. Looked like everything is ready. Lower the heat down to medium high, close the lid and say your magic words. Mine were "gibbidee goo." In other words, let it cook for about 20 minutes.

I found 6 or 7 leaves of romain lettuce, washed, shook them dry and cried "Aiieeeeee!" while I slammed 'em on the chopping board. You should try it. Live a little.



The best way to slice them is to nest them inside each other, like Russian dolls, and slice. Discard the hardy end parts. Go back to the shrimp and mix them up a bit more to make sure that they are evenly marinaded.

Is that rice done yet?



It's done when you taste it and it's all soft and chewy. Don't tell me you don't know how what cooked rice tastes like.

Heat some oil in a pan on high heat. I told the shrimps that it was their time to shine and tossed them in the hot oil.



Use a tong, or if you're cool like me, use a pair of chopsticks and push those shrimps around. Stir fry them. Make sure that they flip and flop and get evenly cooked. Be sure to not over cook them. About 1 minute should be enough. This is what they would look like half way done:



When the shrimps are done, arrange them on a plate with the Mexican rice and lettuce. That was all.



Eat it just like that or you're welcome to throw them all on a piece of tortilla and roll it up. Whatever! Be a cowboy/cowgirl. Do whatever you want!

Chipotle Shrimps and Mexican Rice
(Printable recipe)

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs of shrimps, deveined

Marinade:
1 chipotle pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons of abodo sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cummin
1 tablespoon fish sauce

Mexican rice:
1 cup long grain rice
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cummin
1.5 cups chicken broth
cayenne pepper
cilantro, chopped (optional)
oil

1/2 romain lettuce heart

Directions:

In a bowl, mix shrimps and all of marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 20 minutes.

In a pot, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes.
Measure 1 cup of long grain white rice and add to pot.
Add the chopped garlic.
Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1.5 cups of chicken broth.
Toss in 1/2 teaspoon of cummin and cayenne pepper.
Bring to boil and let simmer covered for 20 minutes.

Wash, pat dry and thinly slice lettuce.

When rice are cooked, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a separate pan on high heat.
Stir fry the shrimps in pan for about 1 minute.

Remove shrimps from heat and serve with rice and lettuce.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. Your pictures are so clear and colorful. Good job!

    ReplyDelete