Friday, December 4, 2009

Baked Scallops

Garlic Shrimp Curry


Baked Scallops


Mixed Green Salad




First off, the garlic shrimp curry dish is fantastic, and it's a recipe from Elise over at SimplyRecipies.com (Spicy Garlic Shrimp), which I modified. This recipe cooks in 2 minutes, and prep time is minimal. The EASIEST dish you can possibly make. Below is her ingredient list with my modifications. I followed her directions exactly, so no need to repost.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice (I used brown rice)
1 pound, about 20 large jumbo shrimp (peeled with tail on or unpeeled, but veins removed)
6 large garlic cloves
1 1/2 cup of water
Salt
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, de-ribbed, julienned (I omitted)
Juice of one lime (or 2 inches of white tender end of lemongrass, finely sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 small cans (5.6 ounces) coconut milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of red chili powder or red chili sauce (to taste) (I used 1/2 tsp Thai red curry powder & 1/2 tsp Cheyenne pepper)
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1 tsp brown sugar (I added this as an extra ingredient because I felt like it needed it, but maybe it doesn't. Whatever!)



I'm going to go on a tangent here and whine about seafood prices. Sea scallops are $16/lb. Do I look like I have that kind of money? The answer is obvious, and that is why I go to Chinatown. Chinatown? Yes. You would not believe how cheap they are. A bag of 60 frozen, medium, already deveined shrimp is only $7, and they don't even charge you tax. Next, I got a pound of small sea scallops for $5. Outrageous, right? But I since I ate most of that prior to this baked scallops recipe, I had to get some $16/lb scallops from Safeway. :(

Ingredients:
1 pound sea scallops
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs water
1 tsp parsley
1 clove garlic
1 tbs butter (softened)
breadcrumbs

As a common theme to my cooking, this is really simple. Combine all ingredients except for the bread crumbs.



Pour contents into a baking dish coated with olive oil (or butter).



Use enough bread crumbs to cover all your scallops and some extra to the side. I added some extra butter to the top of the breadcrumbs so that it'll turn out crispier. (My stove is also really dirty from the ziti I made the other night... or three weeks ago.)



Bake on 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Take it out, and let it rest for five minutes before serving. I didn't remember that I had an old fashion gas oven until I took my scallops out. It only heats from the bottom, and so my hopes of having a crispy breaded top was ruined! :(



The last thing on my list is the mixed green salad.

Ingredients:
Salad -
1/2 bag mixed green salad, prewashed
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts (I like mine honey glazed)
crumbled goat cheese
Dressing -
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

I'm sure you all know how to make a salad, right? So I'm not going to go into detail for it. This is my favorite salad of all time. Mainly, I just like to pick out all the cranberries (it's the best part!), so I actually have to double the amount. Also, I highly recommend sticking to goat cheese because it gives it that pazzzzaaze.

2 comments:

  1. I have to try the baked scallops! And yes, I agree with the outrageous seafood prices from Safeway! Frozen scallops from the Asian stores are way cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoohoo! You put things under the fold. That garlic shrimps still look hella good. *drools*

    ReplyDelete