Thursday, November 26, 2009

Elise's Onion Potato Gratin



Since I have only had potato gratin once before in my life, I'd like to try out different variations of this dish to familiarize myself with it. Last week, it was Kay's potato gratin with bacons. I want to try to make a vegetarian potato gratin, so Elise's onion potato gratin fits the bill.

If you don't know who Elise is, you need to go her food blog Simple Recipes ASAP!. Not only the recipes are wonderful and super easy to make, most of them are family recipes.

Again, like last week, you can find the original recipe here and follow my adventure below.

Like last time, I only had red potatoes so I used red potatoes. I think the red ones are less waxy than the Yukon Gold potatoes (as called out in the original recipes).

Let us commence the peeling and slicing!



I didn't have to pretend that they're small potatoes anymore. They were free to be themselves this time. I also didn't make the onions pretend to be some other onions and let them be nice half moon slices of red onions (purple? they look purple to me).



After being sliced to the point of madness, the potatoes and onions joined each other in the hot tub a.k.a my pot.



It didn't take long for them to reach the point of semi-cooked. Maybe 4 minutes after the water boiled. I was afraid that I would overcook it so I kept poking them with my chopsticks. The continuous harrassing sure helped because I did not overcook the potatoes and was able to drain them successfully!

I forgot my glass baking dish at my parents' place so I just had to make do with this Teflon coated pan when layering on half of the potatoes and onions.



Now come the cheeses. Elise said to use Gruyere cheese but I was in a hurry and I did not find the Gruyere cheese, so I got goat cheese instead. Oh man, I sure hope I didn't commit any taste crime by using goat cheese instead of Gruyere. Please forgive me!

Wanna know a secret? I never try this type of goat cheese before and guess what? I like it! It smells like yogurt and totally melts away in your mouth. Yumms!



Look at it, it's beautiful. Light and fluffy like snow.

After lightly cover the potatoes and onions with salt and pepper, I pretended to be a fairy and sprinkled on half of the tub (about 6 oz.) of goat cheese on top.



To make it gooey, I dispered about half a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese on top of the goat cheese.



Oh boy, now I can repeat the whole process with the rest of the potatoes and onions.



Again, salt and pepper.



And more of the same amount of goat cheese and parmesan on top of that!



Then I whipped out my trusty carton of heavy cream (oh, how I love thee) and pour 3/4 cup of cream over the whole pan.

The whole pan full of goodness was popped into the oven to bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees F. When the timer went off, I quickly switched it to broil for another 2 minutes to brown off the top.



In comparing the two potato gratin recipes, I'd have to say that I had a lot of fun making Elise's version. So much layering and cheeses. However, being a meatarian that I am, I prefer Kay's version because it has the savory taste. However, Elise's version would complement a savory dish (say turkey or chicken) much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment