Friday, October 30, 2009

Roasted Portabello Salad


Sorry for the lack of postings, but I was such a clutz and forgot the camera USB cable at my parents' house. Therefore, no photos can be transferred from the camera to the computer.

I made this salad after I finished the Nike's Women Half Marathon while my body was uber sore and I was limping everywhere. Basically, I was house-ridden, I couldn't go anywhere for lunch so the matter of going grocery shopping was also out of the question. But I was starving. What a girl to do? A girl is to raid her fridge and eat whatever she could find, of course, and she found:


1 avocado leftover from the tostada excursion the week before.
1/2 heart of romain lettuce also from the tostada deal.
1/2 red bellpepper from whatever food adventure a couple of days ago.
1 cap of portabello mushroom from another food adventure.

That is good enough to feed a girl for lunch and make her feel better for sin committed the day before. What sin? you ask. *Points down to below* That was the sin. Yes, sirs and madams. What you see below is a plate of 1 egg in a bread nest, six (I kid you not) strips of bacon, 1/2 of a polish sausage, and 1 banana. I wonder if I would be easier to just tell my heart to stop beating for 5 minutes rather than wolf down that plate. But I did. And I liked it!


Anyway, to redeem myself, I made a salad for lunch with nothing but the good stuff that would make my doctor proud. Voila! Roasted portabello and bell pepper salad!






Ingredients:
(Printable recipe)

1/2 ripe Haas avocado
1/2 heart of romain lettuce
1/2 red bell pepper
1 cap of portabello mushroom
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic - minced
salt
pepper

Direction:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pit, peel and slice the avocado in about 1/4" thick slices.
Wash and pat dry the romain lettuce then chop roughly so it's bite size.
Wash, deseed, and slice the bell pepper in strips.
Wash and slice 1 cap of portabello mushroom.

Lay the mushroom and bell pepper slices on a baking pan/dish.
Sprinkle on about 1 teaspoon of salt.
Add as much ground black pepper as you'd like.
Drizzle on the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Toss well with the minced garlic so that the mushroom and bell pepper pieces are coated evenly.
Roast the pepper and mushroom in the oven for 20 minutes.

Lay the dried lettuce on top of a plate.
Layer the avocado slices on top of the lettuce.
Use a tong to transfer the roasted bell pepper and mushrooms to the lettuce and avocado plate.
Don't throw that awesome olive oil/balsamic vinegar mixture!
Carefull pour the oil/vinegar/garlic mixture into a bowl.
Give the mixture a good whisk.
Drizzle all over the salad to creat a sort of dressing.

The only salad dressing I could find in my fridge was the thousand islands dressing. How depressing. I don't even know why I had that in the first place. I prefer tangy Italian dressing above all. So I had to create a makeshift dressing this salad. I must say, the makeshift dressing was totally awesome!

Random fact: The avocado is one of the most nutritious fruits! Hoorah!
Random tip: To tell if an avocado is riped just right, squeeze it gently. If it "gives" like chilled butter, then it's perfect!
Another random fact: The avocado in Vietnamese is called "trái bơ" which means "butter fruit" literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment