Thursday, October 15, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan















Eggplant Parmesan


1 Italian Eggplant
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
2 clove garlic
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp rosemary
1 26 oz can marinara sauce
1 3-4 oz can of sliced olives
1/2 bell pepper, sliced
1 stock of green onion, chopped


I love eggplant. I think it's my inner yearning to return to vegetarianism. But, I know from experience and past doctor visits that -- no matter my love of cooking-- I make a rotten vegetarian. So unless or until I get better I am resigned to my current, if infrequent, exploration of vegetarian dishes.

Veggie-filled sauces are my favorite. This is no wimpy sauce and it is quite filling. Other than the canned items (naturally) I found all vegetables at the local Farmer's Market. Fresh (mostly), healthy and yummy!

Eggplant Parmesan:

Preheat oven to 400

Slice the eggplant.
In a bowl pour the white wine.
In a separate bowl mix the breadcrumbs, rosemary, basil, 1 clove garlic and Parmesan.

Dip eggplant in the wine, be certain to soak both sides. Next press the eggplant in the bread mixture. Place on an oiled oven safe roasting pan or rectangular casserole dish. Lay slices side-by-side, and avoid layering if at all possible. This helps it cook faster and more evenly.

Spread marinara sauce over the top, then green onions, the second clove of garlic, olives, mushrooms and bell pepper.

--Usually I would mix these before hand, but I didn't this time. It turned out well, so I think I will layer the veggies for this dish from now on.

Bake for 30-45 minutes until eggplant is brown when cut, or soft enough to be cut by the side of a fork.

1 comment: