Saturday, September 19, 2009

Vegetable Frittata

I had my first frittata one day at a hospital cafeteria. How come I've never heard of frittata before? I don't know. But I am sure glad I got to try. So, what did I do after enjoying such a meal? I googled it and decided that I shall attempt it.

Here is the result of my Friday experiment.

I stopped by the market on the way home to pick up:

1 portobello mushroom (medium size), 1 yellow zucchini, and 1 green zucchini. To collect the rest of the vegetables, I raided my fridge and got some white button mushrooms, a few spears of asparagus, and frozen spinach.




After washing and scrubbing clean the vegetables, I sliced them all like mad. Check it out.







The slicing continued with 1/4 of a red onion.



Mince 3 cloves of garlic. I love fresh garlic.



Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Cook the onion slices until they become slightly translucent.



Add the rest of the vegetables, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper.



Saute until vegetables are somewhat cooked, about 5 minutes.

In a bowl, whisk 9 eggs. Add to the whisked eggs 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.

In an oven safe pan, I use an 8x8 pan, layer on half of the vegetables. Pour on top of that half o the whisked eggs. Then layer on the rest of the vegetables and whisked eggs.





Pop the pan in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

While waiting for the frittata to finish, I have a few suggestions:
1. Clean up the mess that was made to prepare the food up to this part.
2. Read a magazine.
3. Finish that chapter of a book you started.
4. Dance around in your apron.
5. Watch an episode of The Office.
6. Play with your cat(s)/dog(s).
7. Do the crosswords.
8. Set the table?

Ding ding ding! 30 minutes wait period is up! Remove frittata from oven and serve with rice. Have you notice that I serve everything with rice? That's what you would do, too, if you have spent at least 23 years of your life eating rice at each meal.






Ingredients:
(Printable recipe)
1 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini
1 medium portabello mushroom
4 oz of white button mushrooms
5-6 spears of asparagus
1/4 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup of spinach
9-10 eggs
salt
pepper
olive oil

Direction:

Slice the zucchinis, mushrooms and red onions.
Cut the asparagus in 1" pieces.
Mince the garlic.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of black ground pepper. Set aside.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
Cook the onion slices until they become slightly transparent.
Saute the rest of the vegetables.
Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of ground pepper to the vegetable mixture. Stir.
Cook vegetables for 5 minutes.
Layer half of the vegetables in an oven safe pan.
Pour half of the whisked eggs on top of the vegetables.
Layer on the rest of the vegetables.
Pour the rest of the eggs on top of the last vegetables.
Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment